Learn how to make beer bread in your bread machine. All you need are a few simple ingredients for the best beer bread recipe you will ever make.
A sliceable homemade bread that is the easiest bread you will make. This beer bread recipe is great for serving up with a dinner, gifting a loved one, or keeping on hand to eat through the week.
This is one of our favorite bread machine recipes as it is a quick recipe that comes together all by itself. We make this bread all year round, and it is delicious when paired with a bowl of beef stew or even chili.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients that you will need to make this recipe. You can find the full list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- beer (room temperature)
- bread flour
- active dry yeast
This is a quick overview of the instructions to make this recipe. You can find the full steps in the recipe card.
- Pour the room temperature beer into the bottom of the bread pan.
2. Add the flour on top of the beer, do not mix. Make a small well in the center of the flour and add the sugar, salt, and yeast to the well.
3. Place the bread machine on white bread for a 1.5 pound loaf. And, choose your crust setting. I used medium. Start the machine and allow it to do all the work.
4. Remove the bread from the pan and allow it to cool completely before slicing.
Hint: You must use room-temperature beer, cold beer will prevent your yeast from blooming.
Let me share some other ways to change up this bread machine beer bread recipe.
- Cheese Beer Bread – add in some pepper jack, parmesan cheese, or even cheddar cheese. You can add a bit of cheese on top of the bread.
- Herbs – add fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, and more. You are welcome to play around with flavors to enhance the bread. Garlic powder, onion powder, and other spices can make for a more flavorful bread as well.
- Nutty – add in some chopped nuts like walnuts, sunflower seeds, pecans, or even almonds. Mix in the bread dough during the baking process so each slice of the fresh bread has some nuts in the bites.
Make sure to try out these other air fryer dinner rolls for another great bread option.
For this recipe, you will want to make sure that you have a bread machine on hand as well as measuring cups. I also recommend using a wire rack and a serrated bread knife for creating clean cuts of the bread.
You can store this beer bread in an airtight container once it is completely cooled off. You can store the bread at room temperature for 3-4 days or in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Or feel free to wrap the bread tightly in foil and then place it in a freezer container. Freeze the bread for 5-6 months. Then thaw on the counter at room temperature or in the fridge overnight.
Wendy’s Test Kitchen Tips
- Make sure to add the ingredients to your bread machine as directed in your manual. You will find that all bread machines are similar but have a certain method on how to add the bread ingredients into the machine.
- You can add other ingredients to the bread dough to create your unique flavor. From caraway seeds to nuts and all things in between.
- Make sure that the yeast is fresh as the starch source is what allows the bread dough to rise properly. If you find your bread doesn’t rise it means the yeast was not fresh or activated properly.
- Depending on the type of beer you use will affect the flavor of the bread. Feel free to play around with the kind of beer you use to create your favorite bread maker bread.
- Brushing the top of your bread once it is baked helps to deepen the golden brown color to the beer bread.
When picking a beer you want to reach for a light beer, lagers, pilsners, or any other favorite beer. You will find that a richer beer will create a sour or bitter flavor to the bread.
You are more than welcome to use a non-alcoholic beer for this recipe. You will get the flavor of the beer bread but without the alcohol content.
While the beer is the key ingredient that also offers flavor to the bread, you can use a carbonated beverage in replace of the beer. You will find the mild beer flavor will not be there if you use a carbonated soda or sparkling water.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with beer bread:
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating! Thank you.
Bread Machine Beer Bread Recipe
- bread machine
- wire rack
- 1 ½ cups beer room temperature
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- Ensure your bread machine is clean and the paddle is in place.
- Pour the beer into the bread machine pan. Add the bread flour on top of the beer, covering it completely. Create a small well in the center of the flour (not touching the liquid) and add the sugar, salt, and yeast into the well.
- Close the bread machine and select the Basic/White bread setting or a similar setting suitable for a 1.5-pound loaf. Choose the crust setting according to your preference (light, medium, or dark crust).
- Start the bread machine and allow it to run through the cycle. The machine will mix, knead, rise, and bake the bread.
- About 10-15 minutes into the mixing/kneading cycle, open the lid and check the dough consistency. It should form a smooth, slightly tacky ball. If the dough is too dry (crumbly) or too wet (sticky), adjust by adding a tablespoon of flour or water at a time until the consistency is right.
- Once the baking cycle is complete, carefully remove the bread from the pan and let it cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before slicing.