If you find that you are a busy family and on the hunt for easy and simple prep dinners, this baked chicken ravioli is a must-make. Tender cheese-filled ravioli paired with rotisserie chicken, alfredo sauce, and two types of cheese. Total comfort food in every single bite of this ravioli recipe.
This is the perfect meal for busy nights where you need quick and easy but want tasty. Simple ingredients that the whole family can enjoy. I am a sucker for casserole dish recipes where I can prep and toss in the oven and allow it to handle the rest. Pair with some garlic bread or a salad and dinner is served.
This is a quick overview of the ingredients that you will need to make this recipe. You can find the full list in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- frozen cheese-filled ravioli
- shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- alfredo sauce sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
This is a quick overview of the instructions to make this recipe. You can find the full steps in the recipe card.
Step 1: Cook the frozen ravioli according to package instructions, then drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the cooked shredded chicken, half of the alfredo sauce, half of the mozzarella cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese, chopped basil, salt, and pepper.
Step 2: Spread a thin layer of the remaining alfredo sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place the ravioli in a single layer in the baking dish. Over the layer of ravioli ravioli, add a layer of the chicken and alfredo sauce mixture using about ⅓ of the mixture.
Step 3: Repeat the layers of ravioli and chicken mixture ending with a final layer of ravioli. Pour the remaining alfredo sauce over the ravioli. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top.
Step 4: Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with extra fresh basil if desired.
Let me share some ways to change up this cheesy ravioli bake casserole so you can change up the recipe a bit to fit your preference. Pasta dishes are so versatile to adjust to fit your exact flavor preferences, and this one is no different. Here are some variations you might want to try out.
- Spicy – add red pepper flakes, a splash of hot sauce, swap the leftover chicken with hot Italian sausage, and more. You could even add some Cajun or Creole seasoning to help spice up the jarred alfredo sauce.
- Deluxe – add in some broccoli, green beans, or other vegetables to elevate the flavors of the chicken alfredo ravioli bake. Or you can use spinach ravioli or other filled ravioli instead of just a cheese mixture for more flavor. Feel free to play around with yummy add-ins and create a meal that is fit for you! Take a step further and add 2 ounces of room-temperature cream cheese to add creaminess to the cheesy pasta.
- Beef Ravioli – Cook ground beef, ground chicken, ground turkey, Italian sausage, or whatever meat you want and pair with spaghetti sauce in replace of the alfredo sauce. This is a tomato-based version that is just as tasty and has a whole lot of cheese flavor in each bite. I use jarred sauce for easy prep of the pasta casserole. You can use spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce for this version. If you want the sauce creamy add in some heavy cream as well.
Consider trying my slow cooker white lasagna recipe which is a chicken alfredo bake but in a lasagna form.
So for this cheese ravioli casserole, I used a 9×13 baking dish for the pasta bake. I love to use ceramic or glass pans as they work great for making this easy casserole. Just prep with a nonstick cooking spray to ensure the mixture doesn’t stick to the edges of the pan.
Then reach for measuring cups and a wooden spoon for stirring the mixture together and scooping at the end. You will find that this recipe uses minimal items to make. I do recommend storing leftovers in an airtight container so that it helps protect the pasta mixture from taking on odors in the fridge as it is stored leftover.
There are plenty of leftovers in our home, and we just place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days. You will find that reheating the rest of the ravioli mix the next day is just as good as night one. Warm the mixture up in a microwave or the oven in a covered dish.
Now if you want to freeze the mixture for another weeknight meal later on, go ahead. Place the leftovers in a freezer container. Then warm it up straight from the freezer if it is in an oven-safe pan. Or thaw in the fridge overnight, and then warm in the microwave. The sauce can curdle just a bit, but overall the ravioli alfredo mixture tastes just like it did night one when you served it up on your dinner table.
You could even use a large skillet and warm it up slowly on low to medium-low heat in the pan.
Wendy’s Test Kitchen Tips
Here are some tips and tricks for making this new recipe for you and your family. The first time I made it I was amazed at how minimal the prep time was, and how awesome the flavor was. Here are some tips for success.
- You can use chicken breast that you dice up into bite-size pieces or shred. Or you can use a rotisserie chicken that you have left over. The biggest thing is to use fully cooked chicken for this one-pan chicken ravioli bake.
- If you do not have pre-cooked chicken on hand. You can use boneless chicken and bake or use a ceramic skillet with a little olive oil or avocado oil, and sear the chicken and cook until no longer pink.
- Fresh ravioli can be used, you will just reduce the cooking time a bit. You want to cook the meat mixture until the pasta is fully cooked the meat sauce is warmed through and the cheese is melted on top.
- Cook on broil for 3-4 minutes to get a gorgeous golden brown top to the cheese if you would like.
- Try to place the ravioli in an even layer on the bottom of the dish that way you get a nice even cook. Same for spreading the cheese on top of the dish. Evenly spread the cheese on top as well so you have a nice even flavor in each scoop.
Honestly, you can use any type of alfredo sauce you would like. From homemade alfredo sauce to jarred, or even the packet that you add liquid to. Feel free to use any alfredo sauce you enjoy the flavor of.
Feel free to add any vegetables you would like. Broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, green beans, etc. Just know that adding some veggies can add extra water as the veggies break down as they bake up. But it will add a ton of flavor to the casserole.
Go right ahead and make a larger batch if you need. This is a great recipe for serving a larger crowd. Just reach for a larger pan or use two pans to make a double batch. I add about 5-10 additional minutes as it bakes since there is more to heat in the oven.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
These are my favorite dishes to serve with this chicken alfredo bake:
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating! Thank you.
Baked Chicken Ravioli
- large pot
- 9×13 casserole dish
- Large bowl
- 50 ounces frozen cheese ravioli
- 4 cups shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
- 48 ounces alfredo sauce divided
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the frozen ravioli according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked shredded chicken, half of the alfredo sauce, half of the mozzarella cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese, chopped basil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of the remaining alfredo sauce on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Place the ravioli in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Over the layer of ravioli ravioli, add a layer of the chicken and alfredo sauce mixture using about ⅓ of the mixture.
- Repeat the layers of ravioli and chicken mixture ending with a final layer of ravioli.
- Pour the remaining alfredo sauce over the ravioli.
- Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with extra fresh basil if desired.