M&M brownies are rich and chewy homemade brownies topped with brownie M&M’s. Simple and budget friendly dessert for any day of the week.
Simple – This recipe is a basic homemade brownie recipe that doesn’t take much effort to whip up at all.
Budget Friendly – This recipe only needs a few basic pantry staples to make a delicious dessert.
Flexible – You can easily turn these brownies into a different kind with just a few simple ingredient swaps.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Butter – Unsalted or salted
Sugar – granulated or pure cane sugar
Cocoa Powder – any brand, unsweetened
Extract – vanilla pure or imitation
Eggs – large eggs
Flour – all purpose or plain flour
Baking powder – any brand NOT soda
M&M’s – I used Fudge Brownies but you can use any kind
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Step 2. In a pan, melt the butter over low heat.
Step 3. Turn off the heat and add the cocoa powder. Stir until combined.
Step 4. Pour butter/cocoa mixture into the sugar.
Step 5. Add eggs and vanilla.
Step 6. Mix well.
Step 7 . Add baking powder to the flour and slowly add it to the wet mixture. Stir until combined.
Step 8. Pour the batter into the silicone or non-stick pan.
Step 9. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean.
Step 10. Immediately stick the brownie M&M’s on top of the brownies. The heat will act as a glue.
Step 11. Let fully cool before cutting into squares.
TIPS AND FAQS
These brownies are very flexible if you want to take them up a notch, you can frost them with a fudge frosting. Or add chocolate chips to your batter.
You can use any type of M&M’s that you like. I used the new Fudge Brownie M&M’s but plain, peanut, almond or any other kind will work.
If you do not want to melt your butter in a saucepan on the stove you can use the microwave. Make sure to completely melt your butter before adding the cocoa powder.
HOW LONG DO THESE KEEP?
You can store your brownies for up to one week on the counter in a tightly sealed container. Make sure that they are always covered.
If you don’t want to eat these all at once they freeze well. Just wrap them tightly and place into the freezer for up to two months.
- 9×9 square baking pan
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup M&M's for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a pan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Turn off the heat and add the cocoa powder. Stir until combined.
- Pour butter/cocoa mixture into the sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Add baking powder to the flour and slowly add it to the wet mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the silicone or non-stick pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out mostly clean.
- Immediately stick the brownie M&M’s on top of the brownies. The heat will act as a glue.
- Let fully cool before cutting into squares.