Moist vanilla cake topped with brightly colored frosting.
Since we’ve been in the house so much lately. I wanted to brighten our spirits and this Hippie Cake seemed like the perfect solution. The idea for this cake came to me in a dream! And, I brightly colored all the frosting because I knew it would be a winner with my girl. I was right. She loved it and thought it was not only delicious but so fun. Food always tastes better when it’s fun.
What colors do I need for this cake?
For the inside of the cake you need to use Sky Blue, Purple, Pink, Green, Yellow Gel food coloring. For the frosting and for decorating you will need Sky Blue, Purple, Pink, Green, Yellow, and black Gel food coloring
What equipment do I need to make this cake?
To make this cake you will need three nine inch round cake pans. Three ten inch round cake boards. You will also need Five small piping bags with star tips One small piping bag with a number three tip. One mini angled spatula, and one package of Wilton Flowers made out of icing. I used the Wilton flowers numbered 8888. I found my flowers on ebay however you may be able to find them in your local baking or craft store. .
Can I use a different flavor of cake mix?
Yes! You can certainly use chocolate, strawberry or any other cake mix that you would like to use. I think Funfetti would make this cake even more colorful and fun to eat.
- 3 round nine inch cake pans
- 3 round ten inch cake boards
- Five small piping bags with star tip
- 1 small piping bag with number 3 tip
- one mini angled spatula
- one package of wilton flower icing transfers i used number 8888
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 C water
- 1 C Canola oil
- Food Coloring Sky Blue, Purple, Pink, Green, Yellow Gel food coloring
- Pam baking spray
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 5 C powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-6 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Food Coloring Sky Blue, Purple, Pink, Green, Yellow, and black Gel food coloring
- 1 package of wilton flower icing transfers
- reheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the 3 cake pans with pam baking spray
- Combine all cake ingredients into a standing mixer or large mixing bowl and beat until combined
- Divide the batter between 5 medium bowls
- Mix in a few drops of one color into 1 bowl and mix until combined
- Repeat with remaining colors
- Drop dollops of the colors into the three cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 25-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before moving onto the cake board
- Using a cake leveler, remove the dome from the cakes to make even
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar,
- vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks
- Scoop 1/2 C of frosting into 6 bowls
- Mix in a few drops of a color into 1 bowl. Repeat steps for remaining colors
- Building the cake directions
- Using 1 cake layer on the cake board, scoop 1 C of frosting onto the top of the cake and spread evenly
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the first layer of frosting.
- Scoop another 1 C of frosting onto the second layer of cake and spread evenly.
- Place the last layer of cake on top
- Frost entire cake with the remaining white frosting
- Scoop ¼ C of each colored frosting into their own bags, set aside
- Using a knife, blot dollops of the colored frosting all over the side of the cake
- Take a flat spatula and lightly spread the colored frosting to create a rainbow effect
- Using the colored frosting, pipe dollops of the frosting on top
- Place the flowers randomly throughout the cake
- Using the black piping bag, pipe peace signs randomly onto the sides and top of the cake
- Cut and enjoy!