Instant Pot Irish Car Bomb Cake is delicious rich chocolate boozy cake that is topped with a bitter sweet chocolate ganache.
There is no reason to choose between booze or cake. This Irish Car Bomb Cake is a perfect combination of both cake and booze! You can’t get any better than that combination. Plus, there’s the addition of chocolate so score!
What is Car Bomb Cake?
Irish Car Bomb Cake is made after the famous drink. An Irish Car Bomb is a mix of Irish Whiskey, Irish Cream, Stout and coffee liqueur. Sometimes these drinks are called Irish Slammers or Irish Bomb Shots. The drink is very similar to a boilermaker. I took these delicious flavors of the drink and added a little chocolate and voila we have a boozy Irish Car Bomb cake.
For the record this cake is not super sweet. The drink is not high on sweet flavors and I wanted to keep the flavors as close as possible to the drink.
Can I use something other than Bailey’s Irish Creme?
You can use a form of Irish Whiskey. Or even a mixture of a strong whiskey and some cream soda. If you are looking to make this cake into a non alcoholic cake, I really don’t think this is a recipe to do that with. However, if you want to give it a try anyway you can just use cream soda.
Can I substitute the beer in this recipe?
You can substitute the beer in this recipe if you don’t have a stout beer. You can use whatever beer you have on hand. Or an extra shot of whisky. If you are trying to make this cake non alcoholic I would recommend going with apple juice.
Can I use something besides bittersweet chocolate?
Bittersweet really keeps this cake from being overly sweet and helps keep the cake to the true flavor of the drink. If you want to sweeten it up a little you could use semi sweet chocolate. In a pinch you could always use milk chocolate if that’s what you have on hand. If you are looking for bittersweet chocolate in your grocery store I tend to find it best on the candy aisle with the larger sized candy bars. But, sometimes I will get lucky and find a bar on the baking aisle.
Instant Pot Irish Car bomb Cake
- 6 quart Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker you can use a larger one, but not a smaller one
- 7 inch springform pan
- aluminum foil
- 8 ounces 60% or more of cacao bittersweet chocolate
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tablespoons Irish Whiskey
- ½ teaspoons salt
- Baking non-stick spray
- ¾ cup Stout beer
- ¼ cup brewed dark roast coffee
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temp
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs room temp
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup salted Butter We use Salted Sweet Cream Butter
- 2 teaspoon Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
- In a medium saucepan heat your cream to a light bubble.
- Place your chocolate in a double boiler.
- Pour heated cream over chocolate pieces and let sit for 1 minute, then stir to combine.
- Make sure to stir often until chocolate melts.
- Stir in Whiskey if using, and salt to taste.
- Set ganache aside to cool to room temperature.
- Prep your cake pan by spraying liberally with non-stick baking spray, then a light dusting with cocoa powder.
- Set to the side.
- In a medium saucepan, add the stout, coffee, and butter.
- Heat over medium, stirring often until butter melts.
- Add in the cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
- Set the mixture to the side and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer, add your eggs and sour cream.
- Beat on medium until combined.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the chocolate beer mixture.
- Mix until well combined.
- Begin to add flour mixture in 1/3 rds.
- Beat on low until combined.
- Pour the batter into your springform pan.
- Cover the top and bottom of the springform pan with aluminum foil. The top will prevent water from getting into your cake, and the bottom will prevent leaks.
- Place a triviet in your Instant Pot.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the Instant Pot.
- This will prevent the dreaded “Burn” warning.
- Lower the cake into the Instant Pot on the trivet.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, then vent immediately.
- Let the cake cool.
- Place the ganache in the microwave for 45 seconds, heat until melted.
- Pour the ganache over the top of the cake.
- Set to the side.
- Add softened sticks of butter to the mixer.
- Add Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur.
- Mix until butter and liqueur are completely
- Add powdered sugar.
- Beat on low until well combined and stiff peaks begin to form.
- Then move the mixer up to medium-high speed.
- Blend for 1 minute.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cake.
- You can substitute the stout beer in this recipe for regular beer if that is what you have on hand.
- If you have a springform pan that leaks, you will need to wrap the bottom of it in foil to prevent it leaking out.