Pink Lemonade Cake is made up of fun bright colored layers packed full of delicious lemon flavor.
I love lemonade and it always screams spring and summer time to me. Warm weather and a cool glass of lemonade make up my favorite summer days. I wanted to take that refreshing and light taste and turn it into a really fun cake that would brighten our days.
My daughter said this cake was a huge success. She loved every single bite of her cake. Your friends and family are bound to love it also.
Can I use a different cake mix for making Pink Lemonade Cake?
Yes you can! You can use any type of cake mix that you would like to use. I would suggest that you stick to using a white, yellow or butter cake mix, so that your pink lemonade flavor stays in your cake. There are no “rules” when it comes to this cake mix so you can use whatever kind of cake that you feel the urge to use. You can even use homemade cake mix if you do not have a box cake mix on hand.
How do you assemble a layer cake?
I find that using a rotating turntable helps a lot when decorating cakes. Level your cakes by cutting off the dome of the cake. Take your cake board and place it in the center of your turntable. Then you will put a small amount of frosting into the center of your cake board to hold your first layer into place.
Place your first layer of cake into the cake board, and then apply a small piped circle of frosting into the middle of the cake. Next, you will spread the frosting around the top of the cake. You are only frosting the middle not the sides at this point. After spreading out your frosting, apply your next layer of cake mix. Be sure to level each layer of cake so that you can stack them safely.
You will pipe the frosting into the center of the second layer of cake, like you did for the first cake. Next, you will want to place the third cake layer on top of the stacked layers. Then all you need to do is frosting the top and sides of the cake.
It’s really simple to frost a layer cake once you get the hang of it. I find it helpful to have the turntable and also have a piping bag, a long serrated knife or cake leveler. You can also use a mini angled knife to make your sides and top smooth.
Pink Lemonade Cake
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
- round cake board
- 3 round cake pans
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 8 large Egg whites
- 2 ½ C water
- 1 C canola oil
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon zested
- Yellow and Pink Gel food coloring
- 3 C unsalted butter softened
- 6 C powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon lemon extract
- 1 lemon zested
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray cake pans with pam baking spray
- Using a hand mixer and large bowl, beat all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
- Divide the cake batter into 2 bowls
- Mix in 2-3 drops of yellow food coloring into one bowl and mix to get a pale yellow color
- Mix in 2-3 drops of pink food coloring into the second bowl and mix to get a pale pink color
- Drop scoops of the colored batters into the cake pans
- Place into the oven and back for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely
- Using a standing mixer, beat all ingredients except for the colors until combined and smooth but stiff with peaks
- Scoop 1 C lemon frosting into the last piping bag with a star tip
- Building the Cake directions :
- Place one cake layer onto the cake board and cut the dome off the cake to make an even layer
- Repeat step with other two layers
- Scoop 1 C of lemon frosting onto the bottom layer and spread evenly
- Place the second cake layer on top and spread evenly 1 more cup of frosting
- Place the last layer of cake on top
- Use the remaining lemon frosting and frost entire cake
- Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top
- Place lemon slices on top
- Cut and enjoy!
Leave a Reply