Savory Chinese inspired dumplings right in your Instant Pot.
One of my must have dishes from a Chinese restaurant are dumplings. I like mine steamed or fried. Though I must admit there is just something about the crunchiness that made me want to sear these to ensure maximum crunch. Don’t forget to serve your dumplings with soy sauce for dipping. I love that salty soy sauce flavor mixed with the crunchy dumplings.
Chinese dumplings are traditionally filled with minced meat and finely chopped vegetables wrapped into a piece of dough skin. The skin can be either thin and elastic or thick. I personally prefer a thicker dough skin? What type of dough do you prefer?
What are dumplings made of?
I made these dumplings out of ground turkey, onions, garlic and carrots. When purchasing them from your local chinese restaurant they are usually filled with ground chicken or pork. If you want to use either chicken or pork in this recipe it’s a simple swap and you can keep all the other ingredients the same.
Are dumplings called something else?
Chinese dumplings are usually called several different things. At my local chinese restaurant they call them potstickers. You can usually order them steamed or fried. You can purchase dumplings in the freezer section of your local grocery store, but let me tell you fresh is so much better and with your Instant Pot they can be so simple and easy to make.
Where can I buy ginger paste?
Ginger paste is sold at your local grocery store. You can find it in your produce department, It is usually in the refrigerator section near the fresh herbs. You may need to look at a large chain restaurant in order to find the ones that you are seeking. If you are unable to find ginger paste you can use minced ginger. I buy my minced ginger in the produce department near the minced garlic. It is usually near the salad toppings and it typically is not refrigerated.
Where is the difference between dumpling wrappers and egg roll wrappers?
Dumpling wrappers are thinner round wrappers. Egg roll wrappers tend to be thicker and rectangle. I would not recommend using egg roll wrappers as a substitute for dumpling wrappers. If you can’t find dumpling wrappers in your area here is a recipe to make your own dumpling wrappers. The best part of homemade dumpling wrappers is that they tend to be a little fluffier and delicious. Dumpling wrappers are usually in your produce department near the tofu.
Instant Pot Potstickers
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 1.25 pounds ground turkey
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil divided
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. Minced garlic
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 32 dumpling wrappers
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Turn your Instant pot to saute
- Add your oil to the Instant pot.
- Add ginger and garlic.
- Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Stir often.
- Add onion and carrots, ground turkey, roasted red peppers, soy sauce, and spices.
- Stir constantly until turkey is cooked.
- Remove the mixture from the Instant Pot.
- Set to the side.
- Place the mixture in a large blender.
- Pulse several times, until ingredients are well mixed and slightly clumpy.
- Place 5-6 dumpling wrappers on a tray.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of turkey mixture into the center of each wrapper.
- Use water to wet outside edges of the wrapper.
- Use your fingers to fold wrapper into a taco shape, then bunch edges together from the outside in.
- Place each potsticker back on the baking sheet.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Wipe clean the Instant Pot.
- Add oil to the Instant Pot and turn to saute.
- Once hot place potstickers flat side down and cook for about 1 minute, or until lightly browned.
- Flip each potsticker for even cooking.
- Remove and place aside.
- Add more potstickers, and oil as needed, until all are cooked.
- Add 1/3 cup water to the Instant Pot and the trivet.
- Place a steam basket on top of the trivet and add the potstickers in a single layer.
- Place lid on the Instant Pot, seal vent, and set to manual.
- Set timer for 2 minutes.
- Release steam immediately.
- Remove potstickers from the Instant Pot.
- Serve with soy sauce.
Yummy! I thought dumplings were only eaten by pandas in Kung Fu Panda, just kidding. I’d like to make some in the future.
Yummy.i will definitely try this.it looks appetising.
Another great recipe for the InstaPot. I’ll try it — as my husband asked to have dumplings today, for lunch!
Raksha N says
I am definitely missing dumplings. They are the best. I will try to make them at home.
Oh hey! This looks great. I’m going to try a Vegetarian variation of this recipe 🙂
Fransic verso says
This is great, since we are stuck at home, this would be wonderful to try.
Lavern Moore says
This is an interesting recipe that explores the different culture so that it can reach a broader audience. I can’t wait to hear how the recipe turned out for everyone!
blair villanueva says
These Chinese dumplings are our favorite at home. I remember my grandma taught us the laborious way of preparing and cooking it, and she said that “.. you will learn to appreciate life if you know how to make dumplings.” Yes, a metaphor that gives us more understanding of the food is not just-food. It is a labor of love.
Neil Alvin says
Wow! That’s very detailed. I will try cooking that once the lockdown here is over.
Natalia Vorche says
Wow, Looks a yummy recipe I would love to try this at home. Thanks for the recipe
I am gonna definitely try this dish in these pandemic days
You know this is the time we need such interesting food recipes as we have ample time to cook. Will definitely give it a try.
These are called gyoza here in Japan. I love them! I ate some tonight for dinner as I had a Chinese dish.
Dominique Walton Brooks says
This is cool to see this recipe for an InstaPot recipe! I might have to try this one! Thanks!
Arun Dahiya says
Wow, these look really yummy. I am going to make them.
OMG, these are delicious! Thanks for sharing how to make them!
ohh my…love this recipe & gonna try to making while am stay home stay safe now
Elizabeth O says
These Chinese dumplings looks really yummy. I need to try this recipe. Perfect for our family gathering. They will like this for sure.