These Chocolate Mini Eggs Cupcakes are the perfect little chocolate cupcakes for Easter or any time you want a delicious chocolate fix! They’re made with my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe and topped with a rich chocolate ganache made with mini eggs.
Chocolate easter cupcakes are the perfect way to celebrate Easter! They’re made with a moist chocolate cake, topped with decadent frosting, and then decorated with everyone’s favorite chocolate candy.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- These cupcakes are absolutely delicious! The chocolate cake is moist and chocolatey, the frosting is fluffy and sweet, and the mini eggs add a delicious chocolate crunch.
- They’re also really easy to make. The cake can be made in one bowl, and the frosting is just a matter of mixing a few ingredients together.
- These cupcakes are perfect for any Easter celebration! They’re sure to be a hit with everyone. Give them a try today!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- vegetable oil
- instant chocolate pudding
- chocolate chips
- chocolate Fudge Frosting
- cream cheese (room temperature)
- Mini Cadbury Chocolate Easter Eggs (or similar)
- Pastel Color Sprinkles (optional)
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Chocolate Mini Egg Cupcakes
Step 1: Mix together the cake mix, eggs, and other ingredients until well combined
In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, water, vegetable oil, and pudding mix.
Step 2: Fold in the chocolate chips gently
Then fold in the chocolate chips.
Step 3: Fill the cupcake liners
Spoon the batter into lined cupcake pan(s) about 3/4 full.
Step 4: Bake the cupcakes
Bake cupcakes for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees or according to the cake mix package.
Step 5: Cool the cupcakes completely
Let cool before frosting.
Step 1: Combine frosting and cream cheese
In a medium mixing bowl combine the can of frosting and cream cheese. Beat until smooth and well incorporated.
Step 2: Fill the piping bag
Fill a piping bag or Zip-Lock bag with the frosting and pipe the frosting onto cupcakes.
Step 3: Frost the cupcakes
Use a circular piping motion to form a “nest”.
Step 4: Decorate the tops of the cupcakes
Add a few chocolate eggs to each cupcake and add sprinkles.
Step 5: Chill the cupcakes
Refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy.
Hint: These cupcakes can also be made with white or yellow cake mix. Simply frost with chocolate frosting and decorate with mini eggs.
Do you want to change up this recipe and make it your own? Here are some ways that you can do that!
If you’re looking for a variation on these chocolate mini eggs cupcakes, here are a few ideas:
- Try different chocolate -Try using different types of chocolate in the cake and frosting. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or even white chocolate would all be delicious!
- Add nuts to the batch of cupcakes. You can add some chopped nuts to the frosting for a bit of crunch.
- Add peeps instead. For a fun Easter twist, try using Peeps marshmallows instead of mini eggs.
Check out these Bunny Oreo Balls for another amazing dessert to make on Easter!
Here is a list of kitchen tools that you need to make this easter cupcakes recipe.
- large bowl
- hand mixer
- measuring cups and spoons
- muffin tin
- cupcake liners
- medium bowl
What is the best way to store these cupcakes? These cupcakes are best stored in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep for up to three days.
- Do not overmix the batter. Overmixing will result in tough cupcakes.
- Be sure to use room temperature ingredients for the frosting. This will make it much easier to mix everything together.
- Use a piping bag or Ziploc bag to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. This will make it much easier and give you more control over the frosting.
- Use mini chocolate eggs for decorating the top of the cupcakes. You can find these in the Easter candy aisle at most stores.
- Add sprinkles to the top of the cupcakes for a bit of color. This is completely optional, but they do look pretty!
- You can also add “grass” to the tops of these cupcakes by coloring some coconut flakes green.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, you can definitely make these cupcakes ahead of time. The cake can be made up to three days in advance, and the frosting can be made up to two days in advance. Just store them in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to serve them.
Yes, you can freeze these cupcakes. The cake can be frozen for up to two months, and the frosting can be frozen for up to one month. Just thaw them in the fridge overnight before serving.
No, these cupcakes are not gluten-free. With a little tweaking, you can make these cupcakes gluten-free!
🍽 More Easter Recipes
Do you enjoy Easter recipes? Try these delicious recipes:
🧾 Easter Cupcakes with Mini Eggs
Want to make this delicious recipe? Print the recipe card below, or toggle on Cook Mode to prevent your screen from going dark. Not ready to cook this recipe yet? Pin this recipe so you can find it later.
Want to pin this recipe from your cell phone? Turn your phone horizontally and a red Pin and blue Facebook button will appear on the left-hand side of the screen. How easy is that?
Chocolate Mini Eggs Cupcakes
- Large bowl
- hand mixer
- measuring cups and spoons
- Muffin Tin
- Cupcake Liners
- Medium bowl
- 15 ounces Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3.4 ounces instant chocolate pudding
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 16 ounces Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 10 ounces Mini Cadbury Chocolate Easter Eggs
- Pastel Color Sprinkles optional
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, water, vegetable oil, and pudding mix.
- Beat with an electric mixer for about 2 minutes until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into lined cupcake pan(s) about 3/4 full.
- Bake cupcakes for about 15 minutes at 375 degrees or according to the cake mix package.
- Let cool before frosting.
- For Frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the can of frosting and cream cheese.
- Beat until smooth and well incorporated.
- Fill a piping bag or Zip-Lock bag with the frosting and pipe the frosting onto cupcakes.
- Use a circular piping motion to form a “nest”.
- Add a few chocolate eggs to each cupcake and add sprinkles.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy.