Delicious Vanilla Crazy cake that only requires a few ingredients from the pantry to whip up. No eggs, butter or milk needed for this recipe.
Pantry Friendly – requires basic pantry staples
Made Ahead Friendly – easy to make the day before you need it
Budget Friendly – only requires basic ingredients keeping food costs low
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
All purpose flour – All purpose only for this recipe
Sugar – granulated or pure cane sugar
Baking soda – Do not substitute with baking powder
Salt – Kosher or table salt
White distilled vinegar – white vinegar only
Oil- canola or vegetable oil works best
Vanilla extract – Imitation or pure is okay to use
Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream Cheese – any brand is okay but full fat works and tastes best
Powdered sugar – any brand, but make sure it’s powdered or confectioners sugar
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×9 square glass baking dish.
Step 2. Using a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda
and salt until well combined. Make three impressions or wells into the dry ingredients.
Pour in the vanilla, oil, and vinegar into one each of the holes. You will want to keep them separate until they are ready to be mixed.
Step 3. Pour the water over all ingredients and mix until combined. Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the center and comes out clean. Once the cake has finished baking allow it to cool completely.
Step 4. Using a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and mix until smooth. Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until combined. Spread onto the cooled cake. Serve and enjoy.
TIPS AND FAQS
Make sure that you keep your vinegar, oil and vanilla in their separate wells until you add the water and are ready to mix all of the ingredients together.
The cream cheese for your frosting will need to come to room temperature. You need very soft cream cheese to make a smooth and creamy frosting for the top of the cake.
HOW TO STORE THE CAKE?
Store your Vanilla Crazy cake on the counter in a covered container. Make sure to keep your container away from heat sources such as the oven or microwave. If you store your cake in the refrigerator you will need to have a very tight seal and tightly wrapped cake otherwise your cake will dry out quickly.
Vanilla Crazy Cake
- 9×9 square baking pan
- 1 ½ C all purpose Flour
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- 5 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 C water
- 1 ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×9 square glass baking dish
- Using a large bowl, mix until combined the flour, sugar, baking soda
- and salt until combined
- Make 3 impressions into the dry ingredients
- Pour the vanilla, oil, and vinegar into one each of the holes
- Pour the water over all ingredients and mix until combined
- Pour batter into the baking dish and bake in the oven for 35 minutes
- Once done, allow to cool completely
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and mix until smooth
- Add in the vanilla and powdered sugar and mix until combined
- Spread onto the cooled cake