This Chinese BBQ Pork is filled with delicious sweet and salty flavor.
I have a passion for Chinese food. However my budget does not share the same sentiments. I knew that in order to keep my budget in check, I would have to learn to make my favorites at home. That is what I was able to do with this recipe.
Most Chinese restaurants serve Chinese BBQ Pork as a side or appetizer. I love to get it as a meal though with a side of fried rice. I wanted to recreate one of my top choices at the local Chinese Restaurant to help budget, so I came up with this delicious recipe.
What type of pork should I use for this recipe?
To make this Chinese BBQ Pork I used boneless pork loin. You could also use boneless spare ribs. I found it easier to use boneless to help save some time on chopping. I don’t know about you but I want to spend as little time chopping as possible.
What should I serve with this?
I serve this recipe with my Chicken Fried Rice. I love eating fried rice. It’s become a staple in our household. However, you could also serve it with a side of broccoli. Or even serve it with this Crunchy Asian Salad recipe.
What is Chinese Five Spice?
Chinese Five Spice is a blend of star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, sichuan pepper and fennel seeds. These spices make a flavor combination that is, sweet, salty, sour and bitter. This spice blend is commonly used in Chinese and Taiwanese cuisine. If you are unable to find this mix at your local store, I’ve found a recipe for you here.
Do I have to use red food coloring?
You don’t not have to use red food coloring. Food coloring does nothing to enhance the flavor of your dish. I used red food coloring only because it is in the traditional dishes that you eat at your local chinese restaurant.
Chinese BBQ Pork
- Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- 1.5 lbs boneless pork loin (or boneless spare ribs)
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tbsp garlic minced
- ½ tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 2 drops natural red food coloring
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Thinly slice the pork into strips about 3" long and place in a large sealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Pour the marinade into the plastic bag with the pork.
- Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to cook:
- Add the olive oil and Sesame oil to the Instant Pot
- Place the pork inside the Instant pot and set to saute.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring to evenly cook.
- Add the leftover marinade to the Instant Pot.
- Add the lid and close the seal.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Manual for 4 minutes.
- Immediately open the seal to release the steam
- Remove from the Instant pot and serve over rice.