Thai Drunken Noodles are soft rice noodles cooked in a spicy flavorful thai soy sauce and bursting with fresh basil flavor.
One Pot Friendly – Cooks up directly in your Instant Pot
Weeknight Friendly – Ready in under 20 minutes
Budget Friendly – Replaces a takeout favorite with a cheaper made at home dinner
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Rice noodles – Also called Stir Fry Noodles
Grapeseed oil – Vegetable oil and canola are okay, but will sightly alter the taste
Ginger paste – Found in the produce department, minced ginger is a good substitute
Bell peppers – any colors, I like red for this dish
Thai basil leaves – regular basil is okay
Boneless skinless chicken thighs – Chicken breast or tenders is also good
Gluten free oyster sauce – regular oyster sauce is okay to use as well
Red curry paste – found in the international aisle at your store
Fish sauce – any brand I like Red Boat brand
Gluten free soy sauce – also known as tamari you can use soy sauce instead
Dark brown sugar – Light brown will work also
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Soak rice noodles according to the package directions Drain noodles after soak and set aside.
Step 2. Press Saute on your Instant Pot and add the oil once the pot is hot. Add the red peppers and onions, and stir. Allow to cook for one to two minutes. Add the garlic, and ginger, to the onion mixture and stir. Cook for another two to three minutes. Remove the onion mixture and set to the side.
Step 3. Add the sliced chicken, stirring constantly, until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Add the onion mixture back with the chicken and stir to combine.
Step 4. In a small bowl add stir fry sauce ingredients and mix together. Pour the sauce over the chicken and onion mixture,in the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. When the time is up, quickly release the pressure. Remove the lid carefully.
Step 5. Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add the drained cooked rice noodles, sliced green onions, minced Thai Basil, and cook for one to two more minutes until the noodles arecoated in the sauce and the sauce has thickened.
TIPS AND FAQS
Fish Sauce, Oyster Sauce, rice noodles, and red curry paste are all found on the international aisle at your local grocery store
Be sure to soak your rice noodles to soften them according to the package directions.
Grapeseed oil is found near vegetable and canola oil.
HOW LONG DOES LEFTOVERS KEEP?
Thai Drunken Noodles leftovers can be kept in a sealed container inside of the refrigerator for up to three days. For best results when reheating, place in a hot skillet on medium heat on the stove. Add a small amount of grapeseed or canola oil and saute until heated through. Be careful not to burn noodles and sauce when reheating.
Thai Drunken Noodles
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 1/2 lb rice noodles
- 3 tablespoon Grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger paste
- 2 red bell pepper deseeded, chopped
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs sliced
- 3 tablespoon gluten free oyster sauce
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 tsp. Red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Read the directions on the rice noodles and soak them accordingly and then drain well.
- Set to the side.
- Turn Instant Pot on saute mode, add oil to pot
- Add the red peppers and onions, and stir, cooking for 2 or 3 minutes
- Add the garlic, and ginger, to the onion mixture and stir, cook for 2 or 3 minutes
- Remove the onion mixture and set to the side.
- Add the sliced chicken, stirring constantly, until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Add the onion mixture back with the chicken and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl add stir fry sauce ingredients and mix together.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and onion mixture, stir to combine.
- Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When the time is up, quickly release the pressure.
- Remove the lid carefully.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute’
- Add the drained cooked rice noodles, sliced green onions, minced Thai
- Basil, and cook for one to two more minutes until the noodles are coated in the sauce and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve right away.