Instant pot Cajun Boil is spicy sausage, crawfish, corn and potatoes cooked right in your pressure cooker.
This recipe is delish and easy to throw together in a hurry! It’s a great way to feed a crowd and perfect for a spring or summer time outdoor dinner! Your family will love the spicy flavors of the cajun seasoning and the freshness of the seafood.
What are Crawfish? Where do I buy them?
Crawfish are freshwater crustaceans that resemble fresh small lobsters. Sometimes they can be called crayfish, crawdads, freshwater lobsters or mudbugs. You can purchase crawfish in the seafood department of your local grocery store.
Crawfish are popular in Louisiana cuisine. Most of the crawfish that you purchase comes from rivers and swamps in Louisiana. Crawfish tastes like a combination of lobster, crab and shrimp. However, since it is from freshwater, it does not have a salty taste. Instead it has a lightly sweet taste.
What is the difference between smoked sausage and andouille sausage?
Smoked sausage is made of ground pork and lightly seasoned before being packed into its casing. However, andouille sausage can be made from ground pork or ground up gastrointestinal system of a pig. Andouille sausage tends to be heavily spiced with cajun seasoning and makes it perfect for this Cajun boil.
Can I use frozen corn on the cobs?
Yes! I used fresh corn on the cob for this recipe. If you want to use frozen or if fresh is not in season frozen makes the perfect substitution. You don’t need to thaw your corn before you place it into your Instant Pot. If you are using fresh corn like I did you can chop your cobs into a couple pieces so that they cook faster.
What kind of Cajun Seasoning do you recommend and what is in it?
I personally prefer Slap Ya Mama seasoning. I buy this seasoning from my local grocery store in the baking aisle. If you cannot find this seasoning or another similar or just don’t want to visit the store you can make your own homemade cajun seasoning.
Cajun seasoning is a blend of garlic powder, italian seasoning, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, and onion powder. Cajun seasoning is not especially hot however it tends to be very flavorful. If you want to tone down the spice level a little I would recommend using a little less cayenne pepper.
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker. I used an 8 Quart.
- 3-4 lb Crawfish
- 3 ears corn on the cob cut in thirds
- 1 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay
- 3 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 lb cajun kielbasa cut in half
- 1 can beer
- 3 cups Water
- 1 lb small red potatoes
- In a 8 qt pot with the trivet on the bottom.
- Begin to add your potatoes, and corn.
- Place your washed crawfish on top of the potatoes and corn.
- Add your cut Cajun sausage on top of the crawfish.
- Add your butter, seasonings to the instant pot.
- Do NOT mix.
- Pour your beer and water on top of the crawfish.
- Place the lid on the Instant pot and seal the vent.
- Turn your Instant pot to manual for 2 min then allow it to do natural
- release for 2 minutes.
- Remove your Crawfish and sausage and place it on the side.
- Replace the lid and seal the vent.
- Turn your Instant pot to manual for 2 min carefully open the vent and
- replace your crawfish into the pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Allow to sit for 5-6 minutes.