Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Chicken is Crispy Chicken and bell peppers all tossed in a sweet and sour sauce.
Takeout is a regular staple in our household. However, when we started our process to get out of debt takeout was the first thing that had to go. I made sure to come up with recipes that we would typically order out so that we don’t miss out on our favorites but yet we still manage to save money.
What ingredients do I need to make sweet and sour chicken?
You will need chicken breasts, corn starch, eggs, sunflower oil, red and green bell peppers, sweet and sour sauce, basamti rice, water and green onions for garnish. These may seem like simple ingredients but they turn into this delicious chinese restaurant style dish.
What should I serve with my Sweet and Sour Chicken?
I’ve included the directions to make Basamti rice in your Instant Pot to serve as a side to your chicken. Or, you could try my Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice here. I typically serve the chicken fried rice with my sweet and sour chicken so that it gives more of the take out feeling.
How do you make sweet and sour chicken?
Turn your instant pot on to saute and let it come to full heat before adding any food. Add the cornstarch, flour, and eggs into 3 small bowls. Whisk eggs thoroughly. Dip the chicken in cornstarch, then into the eggs, and then into the flour. Set to the side. Add your oil to an instant pot once it is hot. Add dredged chicken, in a single layer in the Instant pot.
Brown the chicken on each side for about 5 minutes. It should be a golden brown color. Add the peppers, and sweet and sour sauce and toss to combine. Close and seal the instant pot. Set on high for 3 minutes. Release the valve once the timer goes off. Remove the chicken and set to the side. Clean the insert and dry. Place the insert back in the Instant Pot.
Add rice and 2 cups of water to the Instant pot. Add the lid on top of rice. Close and seal the instant pot. Set on high for 3 minutes, let naturally release for 15 minutes. Garnish with green onions
Can I make my own sweet and sour sauce ?
Yes! You can make your own sweet and sour sauce. To make your own you will need garlic powder, ketchup, soy sauce, brown sugar, cornstarch, red food coloring gel, white sugar, apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, orange juice, pineapple juice and water. Phew that was a long list of ingredients! Since it takes so many ingredients to make thei sauce, that is why I suggested that you use store bought sauce.
Can I keep my sauce separate?
Yes! You can keep your sauce on the side. If you decide to do that, do not add the chicken back to your Instant Pot. Make sure your chicken is all the way cooked before you stop frying it, and then no need to do the pressurized step. If you have an Instant Pot that is delicate with the burn notice this is perfect way to avoid the burn notice.
Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot
- 1 lb chicken cut into small 1" strips
- 1 cup corn starch
- 2 eggs large room temp
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 Red and green pepper diced
- 8 oz sweet and sour sauce
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water for rice
- 2 cups water
- Green onions to garnish
- Turn instant pot on to saute- let it come to full heat before adding any food.
- Add cornstarch, flour, and eggs into 3 small bowls.
- Whisk eggs thoroughly.
- Dip the chicken in cornstarch, then into the eggs, and then into the flour.
- Set to the side.
- Add your oil to instant pot once it is hot.
- Add dredged chicken, in a single layer in the Instant pot.
- Brown the chicken on each side about 5 minutes.
- It should be a golden brown color.
- Add the peppers, and sweet and sour sauce and toss to combine.
- Close and seal the instant pot.
- Set on high for 3 minutes.
- Release the valve once the timer goes off.
- Remove the chicken and set to the side.
- Clean the insert and dry.
- Place the insert back in the Instant Pot.
- Add rice and 2 cups of water to the Instant pot.
- Add the lid on top of rice.
- Close and seal instant pot.
- Set on high for 3 minutes, let naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Garnish green onions
Leave a Reply