Delicious rich chocolate mint cake that tastes just like your favorite ice cream.
I love mint chocolate chip ice cream. Turning it into a cake though? That was the best idea I think I’ve ever had. I’m not a huge ice cream fan, though when I do eat it I usually choose a mint chocolate chip or butter pecan depending on my mood.
This delicious cake is layers of moist mint chocolate chip cake topped with a rich chocolate frosting. Topped with waffle cone pieces, maraschino cherries and mini chocolate chips.
What equipment do I need to make this cake?
For this cake you will need three nine inch round cake pans. You will also need mint green food coloring gel. I also used 3 three inch round cake boards.Additionally I used a piping bag with a star tip for the frosting. I also find a cake leveler to be a handy tool to make the cakes level however you can use a knife if you don’t have one.
Do I have to use a boxed cake mix?
No, you do not have to use a boxed cake mix. I use box mix in this recipe just to keep this recipe simple. However, you are welcome to make your own white or vanilla batter then add in the mint extract and chocolate chips. Make sure when selecting your batter recipe that you find a a recipe that includes a three layer cake, or double a regular cake batter recipe.
Can I make this cake in a different shape?
I really think this cake looks best as a three layer cake. If you want to save some time on decorating and layering you can turn this cake into cupcakes. You will get approximately 36 cupcakes out of this batter. Or, you can get one 9×13 inch baking pan cake and one dozen cupcakes from this batter. If you do decide to make cupcakes instead of the cake you will need more cherries and waffle cone pieces than the recipe calls for.
What kind of cherries do I need to make this cake?
I recommend only using maraschino cherries. You could use sour cherries or get really creative and use some bourbon soaked cherries if you are feeling adventurous. You can make your own maraschino cherries at home. I personally do not recommend using fresh cherries.
Mint Chip Cakes
- 3 9 inch round cake pans
- 3- 10 inch round cake boards
- mini angled spatula
- Large piping bags with star tip
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 C water
- 1 C Canola oil
- 1 tbsp pure mint extract
- 2-4 drops of mint green food coloring
- 1 ½ C semi sweet chocolate chips
- Pam baking spray
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- 2 C unsalted butter softened
- 5 C powdered sugar
- ½ C Hershey Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-6 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 2 C mini chocolate
- 1 package of waffle cone bowls broken into pieces
- 1 8 oz jar of Maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray the 3 cake pans with pam baking spray
- Combine all cake ingredients into a standing mixer or large mixing bowl and beat until combined
- Mix in the semi sweet chocolate chips and mint food coloring
- Divide the batter between the 3 pans and bake in the oven for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before moving onto the cake board
- Using a cake leveler, remove the dome from the cakes to make even
- Using a standing mixer, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and heavy whipping cream until combined, smooth and stiff with peaks
- Scoop ½ C of frosting into the piping bag
- Building the cake directions
- Using 1 cake layer on the cake board, scoop 1 C of frosting onto the top of the cake and spread evenly
- Place the second layer of cake on top of the first layer of frosting.
- Scoop another 1 C of frosting onto the second layer of cake and spread evenly.
- Place the last layer of cake on top
- Frost entire cake with the remaining chocolate frosting
- Scoop a handful of mini chocolate chips onto the bottom of the cake
- Pipe dollops of chocolate frosting around the top
- Place a broken piece of the waffle cone behind the frosting dollop
- Place a cherries into the center of the frosting dollop
- Sprinkle some mini chocolate chips around the top of the cake
- Cut and enjoy!