Buttery soft sugar cookies decorated with bright red, white and blue make up these festive Patriotic Star Sugar Cookies.
I love summer because of the holidays. I don’t know about you, but Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor day seem like the most relaxed holidays. We typically grill out, make some simple but festival desserts and throw a pool party. I like to make these sugar cookies because they are perfect for the picky eaters that like a simple dessert. My daughter for example doesn’t like the fancy desserts she wants just a plain jane cookie or brownie.
These Patriotic Cookies are perfect for your summer cookouts and pool parties!
Do you have to chill the dough for these Patriotic STAR Sugar Cookies?
You do not need to chill this cookie dough. You can chill it if you would like a slightly firmer dough but you don’t need to chill the dough before you roll it out and make cookies with the dough. I love that these cookies do not need the time to chill because I am terrible about thinking ahead and making sure that I had enough time to chill the dough before cooking them.
Where do I buy Wilton Candy Melts?
You can purchase Wilton candy melts for your cookies at your local craft store that has a baking section. My local Walmart also carries a small section of them but the colors available at Walmart tend to vary based on the current season or holiday that is coming up. From time to time I also order my candy melts on Amazon or other online retailers. If you have a restaurant supply store in your area they may have the candy melts available there also. These Wilton Candy melts really help make this Patriotic Star Sugar Cookies pop with color.
What is sanding sugar crystals and where can I buy them?
Sanding sugar crystals are a little like sprinkles but a finer texture. They are still crunchy but they are very sweet. Basically they are rock candy that has been ground up finer. Sometimes they are just called sanding sugar. Just like the candy melts you can purchase the sanding sugar crystals at your local craft store, Walmart, or from online sources. I tend to purchase my sanding sugar online because my stores tend to not carry a wide variety. For this recipe I used white sanding sugar for this recipe. If you cannot find sanding sugar you can leave them off. It won’t make or break these Patriotic Star Sugar Cookies.
You may also enjoy these other recipes:
Patriotic Sugar Star Cookies
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup salted butter melted and cooled melted and cooled
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Wilton white sanding sugar crystals
- 18 Wilton red chocolate melts
- 1/2 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
- 1/2 cup Wilton Royal blue chocolate melts
- Red White & Blue Star Sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add the eggs and butter to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to blend well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar and baking powder. Stir until mixed.
- Add the vanilla and stir well. Pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Blend until fully incorporated.
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface. You can make the cookies as thick or as thin as you want.
- Using a star cookie cutter, cut out 18 star shapes and place them on the cookie sheets. Sprinkle white sanding sugar crystals (optional) on top of each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Do not let the cookies brown.
- Cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire racks to finish cooling.
- While still warm, place a red chocolate melt in the middle of each cookie.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the blue chocolate candies for 45 seconds. Stir until melted. (Depending on your microwave, you may have to microwave in 8 second additional intervals until melted).
- With a spoon, lightly drizzle the melted blue chocolate on top of each cookie.
- Repeat steps 10-11 with the white chocolate melts.
- Lightly sprinkle the red, white and blue star sprinkles on top of each cookie.