This Churro Cake is moist cinnamon vanilla cake, sprinkled with buttery cinnamon sugar between the layers, and topped with a creamy sweet cinnamon frosting.
Have you ever bitten into a fresh and sweet churro and thought it was pure heaven in a small bite? I remember the first time that I had a churro, I just knew that it was a dessert for me. I wanted to bring my favorite flavor of this Mexican crunchy dessert into a cake.
Lately I’ve been wanting to turn all of my favorite flavors into sweet desserts. I think it’s so fun to come up with different twists on these desserts and this one I really took up a notch by adding the layer of cinnamon crunch topping between the cake layers. Not to mention the creamy cinnamon frosting. I really outdone myself with this cake. Your entire family will love it.
What is a Churro Cake?
Churro Cake is three moist layers of vanilla and cinnamon cake. For the cake I cheated a little and just two boxes of french vanilla cake mix that I doctored up some to add a punch of flavor to the cake mix. In between the layers I sprinkled a buttery cinnamon sugar mixture to give the layers a little crunch plus a stronger cinnamon flavor. I really think the cinnamon sugar crunch mixture is what really makes this cake.
Then, I topped the cake with a sweet and smooth cinnamon frosting. I took that up a notch but added Churros on top for the decorations. You can’t have a Churro Cake without adding some churros to the top of the cake, am I right?
Can I bake this cake in a different shape?
Yes, you can bake this Churro cake into different shapes. If you want to make this a 9×13 cake you will need to remember that since you are using two boxes of cake mix that you will have extra batter left over. You should have enough leftover batter to also make about 12 cupcakes.
Tips for baking Churro Cake
Do not brush too much melted butter on this cake. You do not want to drench the cake you are just looking to have something for your cinnamon sugar mixture to stick to,
Be sure to use room temperature butter for your frosting so that it mixes easier. Trying to get cold butter to mix into a fluffy and creamy frosting is almost impossible.
- 3 round cake pans
- round cake board
- Cake Leveler
- BBQ Brush
- 1 large piping bag fitted with star tip
- 2 boxes of french vanilla cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- 2 C water
- 1 C canola oil
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Crunch Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tbsp ground cinnamon
Cinnamon Frosting Ingredients
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 bottle caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cake pans with pam baking spray
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all cake ingredients until combined and smooth
- Divide evenly between the 3 cake pans
- Bake in the oven for 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely before removing and placing onto cake boards
Cinnamon Crunch Directions
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl
- In a medium bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar
- Remove the cakes from the pans and onto the cake boards
- Using the cake leveler, remove the domes of the tops of the cakes to make them even
- Brush melted butter onto the tops of the cake layers
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top
Cinnamon Frosting Directions
- Combine all ingredients into a standing mixer and mix on low speed until combined and stiff peaks form
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag
- Scoop 1 C of the cinnamon frosting onto one of the cake layers and spread evenly
- Place a second cake layer on top of the frosting
- Scoop another C of frosting onto the second cake layer
- Place the last cake layer on top and using the remaining frosting,frost entire cake and smooth evenly
- Pipe dollops of frosting on top of the cake and top with fresh churros!