This Mexican Beef stew is Beef, potatoes, pinto beans, tomatoes and spicy peppers all cooked together in a sauce bursting with flavor.
What is Mexician Beef Stew?
Meixcan Beef Stew is a flavorful stew made from beef stew meat, potatoes, peppers, beans, and tomatoes. The stew is then cooked directly in your Instant Pot giving your dinner a fabulous mexican flavor without a lot of hassle or time spent slaving on your hot stove.
I don’t have an Instant Pot. Can I cook this on the stove?
Yes, you can cook this Mexican Beef Stew on your stove instead of your Instant Pot. You will want a larger soup style pot. Just a note though that cooking the beef stew on your stove will take longer than cooking in your Instant Pot. You will still need to sear your meat even if you are cooking your stew on the stove. Plus the oil in your stock pot and allow it to heat. Once it is heated add your meat and brown all sides.
If I am making this Mexican Beef stew on my stove I always allow the dish to simmer for at least an hour, most of the time I allow it to simmer for two hours before serving. We like our meat very tender and the longer and slower it cooks the more tender your meat will be. You could always make this dish in your slow cooker!
Can I use large potatoes instead of mini potatoes for this Mexican Beef Stew?
Yes! The best part of this Mexican Beef Stew recipe is that it is so flexible. You can switch around ingredients based on what you have on hand at the time. I don’t always find the small mini potatoes on sale and I refuse to pay full price for them. Call a tight wad if you want, but this mama here lives on a budget. If you are using large potatoes you will want to chop them into one or two inch chunks. Or roughly about the same size as a mini potato cut in half.
What other meat could I use for this Mexican Beef stew recipe?
If you are looking to not spend the extra money on stew meat, you are in luck. I have a few suggestions for other cuts for you to use. I’m the queen of just whatever meat I have on hand for my recipes. For this Mexican Beef Stew I usually will cut up a small portion of a chuck roast into chunks, or even a top sirloin. I personally prefer the chuck roast as it gets more tender in my opinion.
Mexican Beef Stew
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat chopped
- 2 cups mini potatoes sliced in half ( no need to peel )
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Cans Fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper seeds removed, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeds removed, minced
- 1 tbsp. Minced garlic
- 14 oz can of pinto beans drained
- 1 Mexican flavor bouillon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Turn instant pot on saute and add olive oil.
- Pat the beef dry with a paper towel.
- Add beef to the Instant pot and season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Toss the beef to lightly sear, for 5 minutes. .
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Turn instant pot on meat/stew, secure lid and turn vent to sealing.
- The timer should be set for 45 minutes.
- Quick release the instant pot by turning the steam valve from seal to vent.
- Stir to combine.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and sliced jalapeno.