Pumpkin Cookies are soft and delicious pumpkin flavored cookies topped with a candy pumpkin. These cookies are a simple and fun way to liven up your holiday table.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Flour – All purpose or plain flour
Spices and Seasonings – baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract
Butter = salted or unsalted. I use salted
Sugar- Granulated or pure cane sugar
Puree – pumpkin puree canned or homemade
Egg – large egg brown or white
Pumpkin Candy – I used Brach’s brand.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Mix well.
Step 2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Step 3. Then add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to the butter mixture. Continue to beat until everything is well combined.
Step 4. Then add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and beat until all ingredients are incorporated.
Step 5. Wet hands and form dough into 2 inch balls.
Step 6. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.
Step 7. Once removed from the oven, immediately push pumpkin cookies into the center of the cookie.
TIPS AND FAQS
Store your pumpkin cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to seven days.
You could also freeze your cookie dough balls without the pumpkins for up to three months if you want to save some cookies and bake later. If you have frozen your cookie dough, allow the dough to thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake as directed.
You can change up the decorations of these cookies by using candy corn, sprinkles are even frosting them with a royal icing. I love the flexibility of these cookies. To make a pumpkin flavored royal icing to go on top of the cookies use my royal icing recipe found here, and add in ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the icing while you are mixing it.
Another way that I like to change up these Pumpkin Cookies is by rolling them in granulated sugar and pumpkin pie spice. Mix together ½ cup of granulated sugar with ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Roll your cookie dough balls into the sugar and pie spice mixture and then place on the cookie sheet and bake. These make a cookie similar to a snickerdoodle.
Looking for a way to make baking easier? Use a silicone baking mat on your cookie sheet. This will keep clean up easier while also preventing your cookies from sticking to the pan.
- Cookie Sheet or Baking sheet
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 32 Pumpkin Candies Brach’s Mellowcremes
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Then add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to the butter mixture.
- Continue to beat until everything is well combined.
- Then add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and beat until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Wet hands and form dough into 2 inch balls.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for about 10-12 minutes.
- Once removed from the oven, immediately push pumpkin cookies into the center of the cookie.