Instant Pot Mexican Chicken Soup is bursting with deep flavors and the perfect comfort food to warm you from the inside out. To make it even better it cooks up directly in your Instant Pot for a quick weeknight dinner.
Budget Friendly – This recipe uses basic ingredients from your pantry. No expensive special ingredients needed.
One Pot Recipe – This cooks up directly in your Instant Pot.
Quick – Cooks up in less than 20 minutes, perfect for busy weeknights.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Chicken – Rotisseries or Cooked Chicken
Tomatoes – Fire Roasted or diced tomatoes
Enchilada Sauce – Red, any brand will do
Spices – Garlic, Onion, Olive Oil, Cumin, Chili Powder, Paprika, Bay Leaf, Cayenne, Mexican flavor cube, seasoned salt and black pepper
Peppers – Fire Roasted Diced Green Chilies, or regular diced chiles
Juice – Lime, fresh squeezed or bottled
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Using the saute function, add olive oil and saute the minced garlic and diced onion for 4 minutes.
Step 2. Add the chicken to the instant pot along with all of the other ingredients. Stir to combine.
Step 3. Secure the lid and cook on high pressure (manually select) for 8 minutes.
Step 4. Let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes.
Step 5. Quick release for the remaining pressure.
Step 6. Add fresh lime right before serving.
Step 7. Remove the bay leaf. Garnish and enjoy!
TIPS AND FAQS
This recipe is very flexible. You can use leftover cooked chicken, or rotisserie chicken.
If you cannot find the fire roasted vegetables you can use regular vegetables instead of the fire roasted.
One of my favorite things about soup is that it tastes better the second day.
Want to take this recipe up a notch? Try using the green enchilada sauce for a little more tang and sour taste.
HOW TO REHEAT SOUP?
Reheatt this Mexican Chicken soup in the microwave until warm, or you can place a sauce on the stove and reheat slowly on medium heat until hot. I like to reheat on the stove as I think it offers the best flavor.
CAN I FREEZE THIS SOUP?
Yes! Since this soup does not contain milk or cream it will freeze wonderfully. I like to freeze mine in single portions so that when I get a craving for something or do not feel like cooking I can take the number of servings that I need out of the freezer. Be sure to freeze your soup ONLY after it has been completely cooled.
Mexican Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 2 cups cooked chicken or rotisserie
- 15 oz fire roasted tomatoes canned, undrained
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 onion diced
- 4 oz fire roasted diced green chilies one small can
- 30 oz black beans two cans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz fire roasted corn one can, undrained
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Mexican Flavor Cube
- 1 lime juiced Or one tbsp bottled
- Seasoned salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Using the saute function, add olive oil and saute the minced garlic and diced onion for 4 minutes.
- Stir to combine.
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure (manually select) for 8 minutes.
- Let the pressure naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Quick release for the remaining pressure.
- Add fresh lime right before serving.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Garnish and enjoy!