Have you ever wanted to make St. Patrick’s Day-themed cupcakes? These Lucky Charms Cupcakes are made from scratch and taste delicious. This recipe uses box cake mix, food coloring, vanilla frosting, Lucky Charms, and a few other important ingredients. This fun treat is filled with cereal marshmallows to make for an extra fun recipe.
These Lucky Charms Cupcakes are fun to decorate! The recipe calls for frosting from a can or you can make your own. You can use the frosting to decorate the cupcakes or just eat them plain! The choice is yours.
Plus with the leftover cereal, you can enjoy a bowl of lucky charms with low-fat milk for breakfast on Saint Patrick’s day. This fun cupcake is perfect for the cereal lover in your house, by using their favorite breakfast cereal to stuff the cupcakes.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Uses Lucky Charms – If you love Lucky Charms, then these cupcakes are right up your alley. Who doesn’t love Lucky Charms? They are so sweet and a GREAT tool for St. Patrick’s Day!
- St. Patrick’s Day Themed – If you’re not a fan of cereal, this is still the perfect st. patrick’s day dessert recipe for you! It has shades of green that make it perfect for St. Patrick’s Day treats!
- Easy to make – When you’re short on time, try making these cupcakes. They are made with everyday cake mix and frosting that you can buy at your local supermarket. I call that a win in my book!
- Love at first bite – These colorful treats are filled with the flavor of your favorite cereal.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- white cake mix box + additional ingredients (water, eggs and vegetable oil)
- Green food coloring
- Creamy Vanilla frosting
- Lucky Charms marshmallows or box of Lucky Charms
- Themed sprinkles or rainbow sprinkles
- Gold edible glitter
See the recipe card below for quantities.
🔪 How to Make Lucky Charms Cupcakes
In a large bowl blend cake mix per recipe and add green food coloring until desired shade is reached.
Bake cupcakes and cool completely.
Use a spoon to carve out the center of each cupcake.
Fill the center of the cupcake with cereal pieces.
Pipe frosting on the top of each cupcake to frost cupcakes.
Sprinkle on gold edible glitter and themed decorations on top of the cupcake.
Serve and enjoy!
Hint: leave a useful hint here, like let the grill run for 4-5 minutes to burn off any remnants, then clean it. I like to use this bristle-free barbecue brush (affiliate link) for cleaning the grill.
When you want to switch things up with your recipe, I have some ideas for you. Switching up the recipe with different ideas helps make baking even more fun!
- Use as the topping – Use the Lucky Charms cereal as a topping on the cupcakes if you’d like.
- Turn it into a cake – You can even turn this into a cake! Sometimes a cake is way more amazing than cupcakes anyways!
- Use fruit Loops – Fruit loops also work well with this recipe! If your child prefers Fruit Loops, this may be the route you want to go or even Cinnamon Toast Crunch for a little spice.
- Swap for different frosting flavors – You can also add another flavor of frosting to these cupcakes.
Check out this Lucky Charms Cake if you’d like to bake even more over this GREEN holiday.
- cupcake tin
- regular-size muffin cups or cupcake liners
- stand mixer – optional
- large mixer bowl
- Piping bag
Lucky Charms Cupcakes will last 2-3 days when stored properly. Store in an airtight container and keep the cupcakes at room temperature to prevent them from drying out.
You can also refrigerate these cupcakes if you like, but they tend to harden after a while and lose their flavor and moisture when chilled for too long.
- If you are planning on transporting them, put them inside of a cake carrier or cooler to ensure they stay fresh as long as possible.
- Top with marshmallow cream frosting instead of vanilla frosting for a delicious topping.
- My favorite cake mix to use is a box betty crocker super moist but you can use any mix that you prefer.
- Add a few drops of green food coloring to the white cake mix until you get the color that you desire.
- Use powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla extract to make a homemade frosting if you don’t have a container of betty crocker on hand.
- You can add a half cup of sour cream to the cake batter for extra tangy and moist cereal milk cupcakes.
- If you are using an electric mixer make sure to keep it on a low speed so that you do not over mix these easy lucky charms cupcakes.
- Don’t forget to heat oven before adding in the cupcakes to bake.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Yes, you can make these St. Patrick’s Day Cupcakes with homemade cake mix. Use whatever cake mix you’d like and then follow the rest of the directions.
If they aren’t consumed right away, then you may find that these cupcakes will last 2-3 days when stored on the countertop in an airtight container.
Use whatever kind of cereal you’d like to fit the occasion! I like to use Lucky Charms cereal around St. Patrick’s Day! Fruit Loops are a great substitution if you don’t want to use Lucky Charms cereal.
🍽 More St. Patrick’s Day Recipes
Do you enjoy St. Patrick’s Day recipes? Try these delicious recipes:
🧾Lucky Charms Cupcakes
Want to make this delicious recipe? Print the recipe card below, or toggle on Cook Mode to prevent your screen from going dark. Not ready to cook this recipe yet? Pin this recipe so you can find it later.
Want to pin this recipe from your cell phone? Turn your phone horizontally and a red Pin and blue Facebook button will appear on the left-hand side of the screen. How easy is that?
Lucky Charms Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix + additional ingredients per directions OR your favorite recipe
- Green food coloring
- Vanilla frosting in piping bag
- Lucky Charms marshmallows
- Themed sprinkles
- Gold edible glitter
- Prepare cake mix per recipe and add green food coloring until desired shade is reached
- Bake cupcakes and cool completely
- Use a spoon to carve out the center of each cupcake
- Fill the opening with Lucky Charms marshmallows
- Pipe frosting on the top of each cupcake
- Sprinkle on gold edible glitter and themed decorations
- Serve and enjoy!