This Leprechaun Hat Cake is colorful, delicious, and is bound to wow your family and friends.
This Leprechaun Hat Cake is filled with rainbow colored layers and then topped with a delicious and creamy vanilla frosting.
Do you want to make a delicious St. Patrick’s Day dessert for your family? I am always looking for an excuse to pull out a themed recipe and see what I can bake up! This Leprechaun Hat Cake is perfect for a St. Patrick’s day party.
.The best thing about this cake is that it uses a cake mix, which helps save you some time and money. Don’t worry, it’s still delicious!
This cake recipe is my one of my favorite recipes to full out when I want to make a bakery style cake at home.
Leprechaun Hat Cake
- 6 - 9 inch cake pans
- 6 - 12 inch cake round cake boards
- Cake Leveler
- 1 medium ice cream scoop
- 3 disposable piping bags, 1 fitted with a large star tip, 1 fittedwith a medium star tip and 1 fitting with a small star tip
- 1 medium ice cream scoop
- 3 boxes of French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 cups whole milk
- 9 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue and Purple food coloring
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients
- 3 cups unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Kelly Green Food Coloring
- Black Gel Food Coloring
- Gold Gel Food Coloring
- Cake Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray the cake pans with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together cake mix, milk, eggs, and butter
until combined and smooth.
- Split the batter evenly between the 6 mixing bowls.
- Add in a few drops of color into their own bowls.
- Mix until colors are combined.
- Pour the red batter into one cake pan.
- Pour the orange batter into the second cake pan.
- Pour the yellow batter into the third cake pan.
- Repeat steps with remaining colored batter and cake pans.
- Bake the pans in the preheated oven for 21-25 minutes or until a tooth
pick comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool completely on the counters.
- Using the cake leveler, cut the domes off of the cakes to create even slices.
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients until smooth and
stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minute.
- Directions on putting the cake together.
- Place the purple cake layer onto the cake board,
- Scoop about 1 C of frosting onto the cake layer and spread evenly.
- Place the blue cake layer on top of the frosting.
- Scoop 1 C of frosting onto the blue layer and spread evenly.
- Place the green cake layer on top of the second layer or frosting.
- Scoop 1 C of frosting onto the green layer and spread evenly.
- Repeat steps with the Yellow, Orange and Red layer. Make sure you put the cake layers in the order of Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red.
- Scoop 2 C of the frosting into a medium bowl and mix in until combined several drops of black food coloring.
- Scoop the black frosting into the piping bag fitted with a medium star tip.
- Scoop 1 C of the frosting into a small bowl and mix until combined several drops of gold gel food coloring until combined.
- Scoop the gold frosting into the piping bag fitting with a small star tip.
- Using the remaining frosting in the mixing bowl, mix in a few drops of the kelly green food coloring.
- Scoop all that frosting into the large piping bag fitted with the large star tip.
- Place the cake onto the serving board
- Using the green frosting, pipe an edging around the bottom of the cake
board to create the bottom part of the hat.
- Using the black frosting, pipe the belt buckle all around the hat.
- Using the Green frosting again, pipe dollops of green frosting all over the cake until completely covered.
- Using the Gold frosting, pipe the buckle in the front and center of the black belt on the cake.
- Place back into the fridge overnight to get a clean cut.