Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew is tender beef, savory vegetables in a peppered sauce. It’s a hearty and comforting meal that cooks right up in your Instant Pot.
What is Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew
Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew is sometimes also called Peposo which means peppered stew/ This dish originated in Tuscany which is why it’s called Tuscan Beef Stew. This Tuscan dish is made heavy on the pepper on purpose. If you are not a fan of pepper you can cut the amount of pepper in the recipe in half so that you still get the delicious flavor without as much pepper or spice in the dish.
Budget Friendly – Beef Stew requires only basic ingredients keeping food costs low.
One Pot Friendly –This is an Instant Pot recipe keeping clean up simple
Meal Prep Friendly – Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew tastes even better the second or third day.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Oil – Use olive oil for the traditional flavor but canola or vegetable oil will work as well
Onion – I used a diced yellow sweet onion, but white or any yellow will work as well.
Squash – Zucchini and yellow squash
Potatoes – Small red potatoes or baby potatoes
Carrots – I used baby carrots but diced whole carrots will work just as well
Tomatoes – Stewed or diced tomatoes
Broth – Beef broth or water and bouillon cubes
Seasonings and Spices – cracked black pepper, salt basil leaves, dried oregano
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Set instant pot to saute mode. Add in olive oil, diced onion, and beef stew meat. Lightly brown meat. Turn off saute mode.
Add in zucchini, squash, potatoes, carrots, and stewed tomatoes. Give it a good stir. Fill with beef broth to fill the line.
Add in pepper, salt, basil leaves, and oregano. Stir well.
Place the lid on the instant pot. Set valve to sealed positions. Press manual or pressure cook button and set time to 45 minutes.
Once the instant pot stops counting, use the quick release pressure valve.
Serve with a nice bread for dipping.
What should I serve with Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew?
I serve my Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew with southern style green beans and cornbread. Ya’ll know I’m from the south and down here we take any excuse we can to eat a pan of cornbread!
Some other ideas are to serve your stew over a bed or rice or polenta. You could also serve with a green salad or some steamed asparagus or brussel sprouts. I think a nice loaf of crusty bread and butter would also go well to help make your meal feel complete.
How to Store and Reheat Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew
Store your Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew in the fridge in an airtight container for up to five days. You can freeze any leftovers that you do not eat, however be warned in my opinion the vegetables in the stew tend to get a little too soft after being frozen and thawed. To thaw your beef stew simply place it in the fridge overnight.
For best results when reheating your leftover beef stew reheat in a saucepan on the stove on medium high heat just until warm. You can also reheat in the microwave.
Instant Pot Tuscan Beef Stew
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 lbs beef stew meat cubed
- 1 zucchini sliced into quarters
- 1 yellow squash; sliced into quarters
- 6 baby red potatoes washed and quartered
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 28 oz stewed tomatoes 2 cans
- 32 oz beef broth 1 large box – fill to the full line
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Set instant pot to saute mode. Add in olive oil, diced onion, and beef stew meat. Lightly brown meat. Turn off saute mode.
- Add in zucchini, squash, potatoes, carrots, and stewed tomatoes. Give it a good stir. Fill with beef broth to fill line.
- Add in pepper, salt, basil leaves, and oregano. Stir well.
- Place lid on the instant pot. Set valve to sealed positions. Press manual or pressure cook button and set time to 45 minutes.
- Once the instant pot stops counting quick release pressure valve.
- Serve with a nice bread for dipping.