This Instant Pot Three Bean Chicken Chili is the perfect winter meal. It is easy to make, hearty and full of flavor. The combination of three different types of beans gives it a unique texture and flavor that will have everyone asking for seconds!
The chicken adds an extra layer of protein to this zero point chicken chili while the chili spices pack in some heat. If you love chili you may also enjoy this Smoked Chili recipe.
Why I Love This Recipe
This homemade chili recipe is hearty, comforting and super filling. You won’t go wrong with making this quick meal.
- If you are on a WW this recipe is zero points but still bursting with flavor!
- The pressure cooker does most of the work, which can free you up to do other things.
- It’s budget-friendly and can feed a crowd.
If you love chili give this Instant Pot Crack Chicken Chili recipe a try.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Beans: Instead of using three different types of beans, you could use any type of canned beans that you have on hand.
Onion: You could saute a fresh onion and use it instead of the minced onion in this recipe.
Garlic: Add some minced garlic or garlic powder to up the flavor.
How to Make This Instant Pot Three Bean Chicken Chili
Step 1: Season the chicken breast
Season the chicken breasts on both sides with taco seasoning.
Step 2: Saute the chicken
Using the saute mode, heat the electric pressure cooker until “hot.” Spray the pressure cooker with olive oil cooking spray and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned on both sides, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Step 3: Deglaze the pot
To the electric pressure cooker, add the chicken broth and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any cooked on bits. Cancel the saute mode.
Step 4: Add the remaining ingredients
Pour in the remaining ingredients with the tomato sauce on top. Do not stir.
Step 5: Cook the chili
Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Set the pressure cooker to “manual” or “pressure cook” for 10 minutes. Quick release the pressure when the cook cycle is complete.
Step 6: Shred the chicken
With two forks, shred the chicken. Mix the chicken with the beans.
Step 7: Garnish and serve
Top with cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, etc. if desired.
- Make sure that you get all the stuck on bits off the bottom of the pressure cooker. Not only do they provide a great flavor, but if left on bottom they can cause a burn notice.
- You can easily adjust the heat in this recipe by using mild rotel, and mild green chilies.
- Or you can add more heat by adding some diced jalapeno peppers, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper.
- If you are making this zero point chili for your lifestyle goals, you can top it with nonfat greek yogurt or fat free cheese for low-calorie toppings.
Leftovers – Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. If freezing, leave out the toppings like cheese and sour cream
Reheating – The chili in a pot on the stove over medium heat. Or microwave individual portions in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval until warm all the way through.
Freezing – This chili can be frozen in a freezer-safe bag for up to three months. Thaw in the fridge at room temperature before reheating as directed above.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
Kidney beans are typically used most often in chili, however you can use any type of beans that you prefer.
When you drain and rinse the canned beans it gets rid of some of the sodium and also the canning liquid. It also helps to prevent them from getting mushy in the chili.
Yes, you can! Just all the ingredients (but the beans) to the crock pot and turn to a low heat and cook for 4 – 5 hours. Then shred the chicken, and add the beans and return to the slow cooker on low heat for 30 – 45 minutes.
More Chili Recipes
If you like chili, give these recipes a try:
Want to make this delicious three bean chicken chili recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin it so that you can come back to it later.
Instant Pot Three Bean Chili
- Instant Pot
- wooden spoon or spatula
- Olive oil spray
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning divided
- 4 cups chicken broth beef, or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup dried minced onion
- 15 ounces canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces can white kidney or cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 7 ounces can chopped green chiles
- 10 ounces can tomatoes and green chiles
- 16 ounces can tomato sauce
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with taco seasoning.
- Using the saute mode, heat the electric pressure cooker until “hot.” Add the olive oil, and chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned on both sides, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- To the electric pressure cooker, add the chicken broth and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any cooked on bits. Cancel the saute mode. Pour in the remaining ingredients with the tomato sauce on top. Do not stir.
- Place the lid on the electric pressure cooker and set the valve to sealing. Set the pressure cooker to “manual” or “pressure cook” for 10 minutes. Quick release the pressure when the cook cycle is complete.
- With two forks, shred the chicken. Mix the chicken with the beans.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro, etc. if desired.