Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken is a simple one pot meal that can be made in under 30 minutes. The sauce is sweet and tangy and makes for a delicious weeknight dinner.
When my husband and I first started really buckling down and focusing on our spending habits one of the biggest ways that we needed to save money was to stop eating out and ordering takeout. I took it upon myself to learn how to make our favorite takeout and restaurants foods at home so that we didn’t feel like we were missing out on something. Thai food was a regular occurrence for us, so I decided to work on a delicious peanut chicken recipe. It took several attempts to get a recipe that I really enjoyed, now that I’ve finally nailed it down I thought I would share with you.
Frequently Asked Questions About Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
What kind of peanut butter works best for this recipe
You can use any type of peanut butter that your family prefers. My family likes when I use crunchy peanut butter in this recipe. My family has a preference for Skippy so that is what I used to make this recipe. Just a side note, if you are using an unsweetened natural peanut butter, you may want to add a small amount of sweetener to this recipe. You can use honey, or brown sugar or the sweetener of your choice.
Can I freeze Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
This recipe makes for a great freezer dump and go recipe. However, you do not want to freeze your veggies in the same bag as your chicken and seasonings. I like to freeze my vegetables in a different freezer bag, and just pull them out when I pull out the chicken and sauce from the freezer. If you are using frozen chicken you will need to add additional cooking time to your pressure cooker. I always add 10 minutes extra for frozen chicken. Be sure to check your suggested cooking time for your pressure cooker.
What type of chicken should I use for this recipe
I used boneless skinless chicken breast for this recipe. However, you can use any type of chicken that you have on hand. One of my favorite things about this delicious pressure cooker recipe is that it’s so flexible. I have used chicken drumsticks and chicken thighs to make this recipe and they both turned out great.
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
5 boneless skinless chicken breast; sliced into strips
2 heads of broccoli; cut into florets
1/2 bag of sweet peppers; washed and diced
1 bag of sugar snap peas; washed
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup coco aminos or soy sauce
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon garlic
One tablespoon ginger
1 cup water
sesame seeds for topping
How To Make
Place sliced chicken into the instant pot. Pour in one cup water and 1/2 cup soy sauce or coco aminos (soy free). Place the lid onto the instant pot and turn the valve to the sealed position. Press the pressure cook or manual button and set the timer to 20 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting and beeps release the pressure. Drain juice.
Add in broccoli, sweet peppers, and sugar snap peas. Turn on saute mode. Place the lid on the pot and steam for five minutes.
Mix together peanut butter, the remaining coco aminos or soy sauce, garlic, chili sauce, and ginger. Whisk well and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Mix well. Once the vegetables are to your preference of tenderness. Turn off the pot and serve with rice and topped with sesame seeds.
- Make this dish spicy by adding in Sriracha, red pepper flakes or chili peppers.
- Switch up the protein by using beef strips or shrimp for a different twist. (If you are using shrimp you will need to reduce the cooking time down to 1 minute.)
- Want to make this meal meatless? Add tofu instead of chicken.
- If you use a different protein source be sure to adjust your cooking time per your pressure cookers instructions.
What do I serve with Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
I serve my instant Pot peanut butter chicken with steamed jasmine rice. You could also serve with Naan and hummus, a salad salad or even fried rice.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Peanut Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breast sliced into strips
- 2 heads of broccoli cut into florets
- 6 oz sweet mini peppers washed and diced
- 8 oz sugar snap peas washed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 cup water
- sesame seeds for topping
- Place sliced chicken into the instant pot. Pour in one cup water and 1/2 cup soy sauce or coco aminos (soy free). Place the lid onto the instant pot and turn the valve to the sealed position. Press pressure cook or manual button and set timer to 20 minutes. Once the instant pot stops counting and beeps release the pressure. Drain juice.
- Add in broccoli, sweet peppers, and sugar snap peas. Turn on saute mode. Place lid on the pot and steam for five minutes.
- Mix together peanut butter, the remain coco aminos or soy sauce, garlic, chili sauce, and ginger. Whisk well and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Mix well. Once the vegetables are to your preference of tenderness. Turn off pot and serve with rice and topped with sesame seeds.