Moist cinnamon cupcakes topped with a creamy cinnamon frosting and a churro for decoration
Have you ever bitten into a freshly baked churro? They are this cinnamony piece of flavor heaven. I wanted to recreate that light cinnamon flavor into a sweet dessert. These Churro Cupcakes as my way of mixing two tasty treats. I must say that I’m wowed by how great they turned out.
If you’ve never had a chance to try a freshly fried churro from a local spanish restaurant or store I highly recommend that you give them a try when you can. There is no better way to expenice a churro than to grab a freshly made authentic churro.
What is a Churro Cupcake?
Churro Cupcakes are moist cinnamon cupcakes, topped with creamy cinnamon frosting. I also added a fresh churro on top of the cupcakes for extra decorations.
Churros are a fried dough pastry that is usually dusted with cinnamon and sugar. Originating in Spain and Portugal churros are commonly eaten for breakfast. Sometimes you will find that churros are thick and crispy and other times you will find them long and thick. It is common for churros to be dipped in hot chocolate or dulce de leche. I placed the churros on top of the cinnamon frosting of these Churro Cupcakes to help get that same dipped effect.
How many cupcakes does this recipe make?
This recipe makes twenty four average sized Churro cupcakes. If you would like to make larger bakery style cupcakes you can get approximately 18 cupcakes of the larger size. If I am making cupcakes for a family function I tend to make larger cupcakes like bakery style. It just seems like the larger cupcakes look fancier? Though it could just all be in my head! There’s always that possibility.
Where do I buy Churros to put on top of these Churro Cupcakes?
I used fresh churros on top of these cupcakes. I picked up the churros at a local spanish store. You can purchase churros from a spanish restaurant if you want fresh churros for your cupcakes. Churros are usually available in the grocery store as a snack. Occasionally you may be able to find them in the frozen aisle of your local grocery store that you can bake and reheat. If you are able to find the frozen churros I would definitely use those.
These Churro Cupcakes are simple to make but pack a great flavor punch. If you are attending a pot luck and need a dessert that is different this is the recipe for you to use.
You may also enjoy these other recipes:
- Cupcake Pan
- 1 large piping bag fitted with star tip
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
Cinnamon Frosting Ingredients
- 2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 bottle salted caramel sauce
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 12 Churros cut in half.
- In a standing mixer beat sugar and butter until creamed
- Add egg and mix until fully incorporated
- Beat in vanilla extract, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Combine the heavy cream into the wet mixture
- Add in flour, a little at a time.
- Add in the sour cream
- Spoon batter about 3/4 full.
- Bake in the oven for about 22 minutes or until the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a toothpick.
Cinnamon Frosting Directions
- Combine all ingredients into a standing mixer and mix on low speed until combined and stiff peaks form
- Scoop the frosting into the piping bag
- Melt 1 C of butter into a microwave safe bowl
- Mix in 2 C of sugar and the 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon into another bowl
- Dip the top of the cupcakes into the melted butter and then dip it into the cinnamon sugar mix
- Frost the cupcakes with the cinnamon frosting
- Drizzle caramel sauce and top with a churro
- This recipe makes 24 average sized cupcakes
- You can purchase Churros at your local grocery store usually.