Smoked Green Bean Casserole is a smoky twist on a traditional holiday side dish. This recipe is going to be the hit of your holiday party.
This holiday favorite recipe is bound to liven up your dinner table, no matter if you make it for the holidays or just a normal day of the week.
This classic green bean casserole is taken to the next level with a delicious, smoky flavor added in. The same great taste we all know and love with the addition of a slow cook with mesquite pellets.
Smoked Green Beans
Green beans are low in calories and packed many vitamins and nutrients. Some of the nutrients in green beans can help your body fight off free radicals.
Why I Love This Recipe
This recipe is a tasty level up of a classic family holiday dinner dish. This new twist is going to wow your friends and family.
- Easy to make
- Looks beautiful on a plate
- Fills the house with a delicious aroma
If you love green bean casserole you may also enjoy this Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole recipe.
You only need five simple ingredients to make this classic holiday dish. You may not even need to make a trip to the grocery store to make this classic dish.
- French Style Green Beans
- Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- French Fried Onions
- Black Pepper
- Coarse Sea Salt
See recipe card for quantities.
Table Salt: Replace coarse sea salt with table salt if you prefer it. However, add a small pinch more table salt since the taste is not as strong as sea salt.
Cream of Mushroom Soup: Replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom soup if you prefer mushroom soup.
Equipment Needed / Helpful Tools
- Large Mixing Bowl
- disposable 8x8x2 metal baking dish
How to Make Smoked Green Bean Casserole
These smoked green beans are so easy to make and come together in just five easy steps.
Step 1: Preheat your smoker
Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees.
Step 2: Mix your ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the french fried onions. Mix well.
Step 3: Add your casserole to your pan
Place in a disposable 8x8x2 metal baking dish and spread even.
Step 4: Cover your green bean casserole
Cover the top, evenly, with the french fried onions.
Step 5: Smoke your green bean casserole
Place in the smoker and cook for about 45 minutes.
Do you want to change up your ingredients and make this recipe your own? Here are some helpful suggestions of things you can try to increase your flavor.
Mushrooms: Add mushrooms in for an additional vegetable and some mushroom flavor.
Cheese: Sprinkle cheese on top of your casserole before you add the french onions for a cheesy casserole.
Jalapeno: Add in a little French’s Jalapenos for a spicy kick to your casserole.
Store your casserole in a fridge for up to four days. You can freeze this casserole, for up to three months. Just a little note though, if you plan to store or freeze this casserole I recommend doing doing so without the fried onions on the top.
- You can use a non-disposable baking dish, if desired. However, I found it easier, overall, to just use a disposable one.
- This recipe is easy to double, triple, etc.
- I used mesquite pellets for this recipe which made the smoky flavor amazing. However, you can use any pellet you prefer. Just note that the different pellets give off a different smoky flavor.
- You can use normal salt, if preferred, but you might need to up the amount.
- Traditionally, cream of mushroom soup is used, but when being smoked, I have found that the cream of chicken gives off a much better and richer flavor.
Do you have questions about this smoked green beans recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions.
Don’t have a smoker? Bake your casserole in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until the casserole is warm and bubbly.
Reheat in the microwave for one or two minutes or until warmed though. To reheat a large amount reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly warm.
Absolutely, you can double this recipe, however be sure to use a large 9×13 pan. Or two smaller pans. If using a large pan, you may need to adjust your cooking time up to one hour.
More Side Dish Recipes
Are you looking for new side dish ideas, give these recipes a try:
Smoked Green Bean Casserole Recipe
Ready to get cooking? Print off the recipe card below or use it on your phone to help you cook this delicious dish.
Smoked Green Bean Casserole
- 8×8 pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 29 ounces French Style Green Beans 2 cans
- 10.5 ounces Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup 1 Can
- 1 ½ Cups French Fried Onions
- ½ Tablespoon Black Pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Coarse Sea Salt
- Preheat your pellet smoker to 225 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the french fried onions. Mix well.
- Place in a disposable 8x8x2 metal baking dish and spread even.
- Cover the top, evenly, with the french fried onions.
- Place in the smoker and cook for about 45 minutes.
- Remove, serve, and enjoy!
Be sure to pin this recipe so you can find it, when you are ready to get cooking!