This Cannoli Layered Cake is decadent, rich, and topped with a creamy mascarpone frosting that will have you wanting to eat the entire cake.
Have you ever sank your teeth into a delicious cannoli, licked all the oozing cream off your fingers and wish you could have more of that creamy goodness?
This cake recipe is the one for you if that is the case. This cake is slathered in a smooth and creamy mascarpone frosting that is too die for. It’s okay, I know you will want to licl the spatula and bowl. Go ahead we wont judge you.
On top of that creamy mascarpone frosting I drizzled on some rich chocolate ganache. The ganache really takes this cake to a whole different level.
Be sure to put a few cannolis on the top and sprinkle a few chocolate chips for decoration if you want. I mean why not just go all out. Go big it go home right?
- 2 boxes of french vanilla cake mix
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 9 inch cake boards
- 3 10 inch cake boards
- 4 cups Mascarpone Cheese, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1 medium ice cream scoop
- 1 large piping bag with star tip
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 Chocolate Chip Cannoli's cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray cake pans with pam baking spray, set aside.
- Using a standing mixer or hand beater, beat until combined all cake ingredients.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
Mascarpone Cheese Frosting:
- Using a standing mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract together until combined.
- Scoop 1 C of frosting into the piping bag.
- Building the cake.
- Remove cakes from cake pans and place onto cake boards.
- Using the cake leveler, remove the domes to make even layers.
- Using one of the layers, scoop about 1 C of frosting onto the top of the layer and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle ¼ C of mini chocolate chips.
- Place the second layer on top and repeat the previous steps.
- Place the last layer on top and frost entire cake.
- Using the remaining mini chocolate chips, coat entire sides of the cake.
- Place into the fridge to set.
Chocolate Ganache Directions
- Heat the heavy whipping cream in a small pot until starts to boil.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream over the chocolate chips in a heat proof bowl.
- Allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Pour into a squeeze bottle.
- Drizzle the ganache over the sides of the cake.
- Pipe dollops of frosting onto the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle a few mini chocolate chips onto the top of the cake and dollops of frosting.
- Place cannolis onto the dollops.
- Cut and serve! Enjoy!