My Irish Cake is a light fluffy tea cake that is just sweet enough and not overly sweet.
What is an Irish tea cake?
Irish Tea Cake is a simple non frosted cake that requires only basic ingredients. This cake is a light cake that is not overly sweet and is usually served with an afternoon tea. However, personally I think it would go great with your cup of morning coffee.
What do I use to top this cake?
Traditionally this cake is topped with a dusting of powdered sugar. I like to serve mine with a dollop of whipped cream. And, if you want to get extra fancy add some fresh strawberries, raspberries or blackberries on the side. One of the best things about this cake is that it is so simple that just about anything can go with it.
What should I serve Irish Tea Cake with?
I serve my Irish Tea Cake with hot tea or black coffee. Or if I’m serving it to southern guests like myself I go ahead and serve it with a nice tall glass of sweet iced tea with a little fresh mint. I also like to serve this tea cake with a few of our favorite light dishes. For example I will serve cucumber finger sandwiches, or chicken salad and crackers. Sometimes I even include a fruit or vegetable tray so that we have a “crunch” to go with the cake.
How do I store my tea cake?
I recommend storing your tea cake in a covered dish. I prefer to use a glass cake plate because it seems to make it look so beautiful inside the cake plate. However, you could also just keep your cake on a plate and top with aluminum foil since there is no frosting to worry about smashing with the foil..
You may also be interested in these cake recipes:
Irish Tea Cake
- 9 Inch Spring Form pan
- ½ C unsalted butter softened
- 1 C sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ C whole milk
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Fruit for topping
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9 inch spring form pan with parchment
- paper. Spray with pam baking spray and set aside
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until
- combined and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time until combined
- Beat in the vanilla until combined
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt until combined
- Alternate between the milk and flour, gradually mixing until completely combined
- Pour batter into springform pan and smooth evenly
- Bake in the oven for 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
- Allow to cool on the counter completely
- Dust with powdered sugar
- Serve with fresh berries and whipped cream