Dish up this ultra cheesy side dish for dinner tonight. This cast iron skillet mac and cheese is the ultimate mac and cheese recipe. You have tender pasta smothered in a cheesy sauce. Then top with another layer of cheese and bake until golden brown.
I love macaroni and cheese but baked mac and cheese recipes are hands down my favorite. This is a great recipe for a weeknight side dish, holiday side, or potluck recipe.
Why I Love This Recipe
- Baked in oven
- Tender Pasta
- Cheese Galore
- Made from scratch
If you love mac and cheese, then you may want to check out my Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese recipe or my copycat Chick Fil A mac and cheese recipe as well.
Variations / Options / Add-Ins
Crunchy Topping Melt 2 tablespoons butter and mix with 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs. Sprinkle on top of the dish and bake the same. It will create a nice crunchy topping.
Mix up the Cheese: Do half sharp cheddar and half pepper jack or even Monterey jack cheese. It creates more layers of flavor.
Pasta Shapes: Use a different cut of pasta. Any small pasta works like shells, bowties, etc.
How to Make Cast Iron Skillet Mac and Cheese
Making this Cast Iron Mac and Cheese recipe is so simple. Just follow the directions below and you will have a hearty side dish that your family will love in no time at all.
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat the oven as directed and then prep your 12-inch cast iron skillet.
Step 2: Cook Pasta and Make Sauce
Cook pasta as directed on the box. Then after draining set the pasta to the side. In the same pan add the butter and macaroni letting the butter melt. Add in salt and pepper.
Step 3: Sauce
Add in the heavy cream and eggs whisking together. Then once well-mixed add in the macaroni Stir in the cheese leaving some out for topping.
Step 4: Bake
Top with the cheese and then bake as directed. Once done, allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
Mac and cheese make an incredible side dish. Now if you want, you can easily swap and make it the main course. I like to pair macaroni and cheese with this Instant Pot Whole Chicken, or these Cheddar Ranch Chicken Tenders.
Make sure to cook pasta till al dente. It is going to cook a bit more when it is baked in the oven. Also if you do not have a cast iron just use an 8×8 size baking dish in exchange.
If you don’t eat all the pasta just store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Then just scoop and reheat in the microwave.
Reheating: You can reheat a single serving in the microwave at 50% power for one to two minutes. If the mac and cheese seems a little add a splash of milk or heavy cream to make it creamy again.
If you want to reheat a large portion, reheat it in the oven at 350 degrees for 12 – 15 minutes or until it is warm and bubbly again. I like to reheat it with foil on top so that it doesn’t dry out.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this recipe.
You will bake your mac and cheese uncovered. This is going to allow the cheesy top to melt and then turn golden brown in color.
Undercooking your pasta by just 1 minute will help keep your macaroni and cheese creamier. Just drain and then mix in with the ingredients and then bake.
Sharp cheddar, Gruyere, and parmesan are the top three cheese varieties used when making mac and cheese. But now there are so many types you can use. Pepper jack, Monterey jack, Fontina, Gouda and so much more.
More Pasta Recipes
If you like this pasta recipe, give these recipes a try:
Want to make this delicious recipe? Print the recipe card below, or pin it below so that you can find it later.
Cast Iron Skillet Mac and Cheese
- large pot
- 12 inch cast iron skillet
- medium bowl or measuring cup
- 16 ounce elbow macaroni cooked according to the package directions
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 pound deli American cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare a 12-inch, oven safe skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or the pot used to cook the album macaroni, toss together in the butter and macaroni, allowing the butter to melt.
- To the macaroni, add the salt and pepper, tossing to coat.
- In a medium bowl or a measuring cup, whisk together the heavy cream and eggs. Add the mixture to the elbow macaroni and stir to combine.
- Reserve one cup of cheddar cheese and American cheese to use for the topping. Add the remaining cheese to the macaroni and stir until evenly distributed.
- Transfer macaroni to the prepared skillet. Top with the reserved cheese.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Allow it to rest for 10 minutes prior to serving.