Creamy Cheesy Weight Watchers Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup. This recipe is delicious and cooks up quickly in your Instant Pot.
I love Panera Bread’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup. But, I don’t love how big of a hit it is to my daily points allotment while I’m sticking to a WW plan. I love the freedom that Weight Watchers gives me, but what I love more is finding ways to lower the points values of my favorite foods and still enjoy their delicious taste.
Can I make this soup in my crock pot or on the stove?
If you don’t have an Instant Pot you could do this recipe on the stove. Just heat your soup for about 20 minutes on medium heat. But, make sure that you saute your onions first. I
If you want to put this recipe in the Slow Cooker, you will still need to saute your onions first. Then you will add all your ingredients and allow to cook on low for about 2 to 4 hours. Make sure to stir well.
Can I use something other than milk?
If you would like to use something other than milk in this recipe, you could try using cashew milk. Using a milk substitute will change the flavor of the recipe some, but it should still be delicious. Make sure that you calculate your points if you change the milk.
Does this soup reheat well?
This soup reheats amazingly well. I personally prefer to eat it the next day. The flavor gets stronger after it the soup sits overnight in my opinion. Allowing it to sit overnight gives the flavors a chance to mingle together and get all nice and friendly with each other.
Can I freeze this soup?
This soup is one that does not freeze well. Creamy soups tend to separate when thawed which makes them not a great candidate for freezing. It’s great for meal prep if you plan to eat the soup during the week. I would store the soup up to 3 – 4 days in the fridge if you have leftovers. As delicious as this soup tastes there may not be any left!
Can I reduce the Smart Points more in this recipe?
If you wanted to reduce the Smart Points of this recipe, you could reduce the amount of light butter that you use. You can also use a lower point value milk. Making substitutes will change the points but also change the flavor. I love it just how it is.
Weight Watchers Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon Light I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- ¼ cup Light I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups skim milk
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli I used crowns, chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard or 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- Step 1: Press Sauté and add the tablespoon of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter. As soon as it begins to foam, add the onions.
- Step 2: Cook the onions until they are soft, stirring often.
- Step 3: Once onions are soft, add the ¼ cup of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and flour and whisk.
- Step 4: Cook about 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Steps 5-6: Add broccoli, salt, paprika, garlic powder, mustard, and black pepper. Add carrots.
- Step 7: Pour in chicken broth.
- Step 8: Secure the instant pot lid and sealing the valve. Set to manual pressure for 8 minutes.
- Step 9: Once the 8 minutes are up, allow the pressure to release naturally. Add the skim milk and cheese and stir until the cheese is melted. You may want to adjust the amount of milk you add depending on how thick you like your soup. Serve soup hot and enjoy!