Do you need a quick and easy dinner recipe that the whole family will love? This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is just the recipe that you are looking for! This Instant Pot Tortilla soup recipe is a perfect dump and go recipe that will have your family asking you to make it again and again.
I got a new pressure cooker for Christmas and when I get a new kitchen appliance I always want to test it out right away to see how it cooks. Sometimes kitchen tools cook hot and other times they cook a little on the slow side. The week after Christmas I pulled my new Instant Pot out of the box and decided right away to test this pressure cooker chicken tortilla soup recipe. I love to use this recipe to test because it’s so simple and it helps me test the pressure settings along with the saute function.
When I’m in the mood for comfort food I don’t always want something that is heavy and calorie laden. Just because I want something warm and yummy doesn’t mean that it has to be heavy to fit that bill. This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup fits perfectly into my wants of comfort food without the heaviness.
This meal comes together in less than an hour. It’s faster than getting takeout and so much easier on your budget. We’ve recently tried our best to reduce how much we are spending out to eat so this is a perfect dinner to throw together to prevent the temptation of just getting takeout instead.
I try to keep all the ingredients for this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla soup in my pantry because you just never know when you are going to get home late from work or have a long sports day. This recipe is so easy that you can even let the children help with it because it’s that easy. Lately, I’ve been allowing my daughter to make more and more for dinner and this is one recipe that I’ve taught her to make and I just release the pressure for her. She loves being able to add the ingredients herself like she’s a big girl.
I love how simple this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is. The chicken is tender, and the Tex-Mex flavors just burst in your mouth. If you want to jazz it up you can add shredded cheese to the top, sour cream, more tortilla’s or even eat it with some tortilla chips! The options feel endless and it’s so flexible!
This recipe also freezes great. Sometimes I double this pressure cooker soup recipe just so that I can freeze half to have for dinner on another night. Do you love to meal prep for lunch at work? This recipe is also great for that. It reheats perfectly. Actually, in my opinion I think this recipe tastes better the next day! The delay in eating it allows the flavors to mingle just a little bit more and deepen their taste! I hope this recipe will be a big hit for your family like it is for mine.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 15.5 oz can of chili beans
- 1 10 oz bag of frozen corn
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode and add vegetable oil. When the oil is heated, add the onions and sauté until translucent, around 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Turn off Instant Pot and add chicken broth and water. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a spatula to deglaze.
- Season the liquid with taco seasoning.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes with chilies, chili beans, and corn. Stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set to pressure cook for 30 minutes. When the cook time is up, allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, then do a quick release to release remaining pressure.
- Remove the lid from the Instant Pot and remove the chicken breast. Shred the chicken and place it back in the pot. Stir and serve.