Instant Pot Chicken fajita soup is loaded with chicken, bell peppers and onions. It’s filling and hearty and a quick weeknight dinner.
Budget Friendly – Recipe requires basic ingredients that help keep food costs low.
One Pot Recipe – Instant Pot recipe.
Low Carb Friendly – This recipe does not contain grains making it lower in carbs.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Oil – Olive or canola
Onions – white, yellow or sweet
Peppers – Red and Green
Chicken – breast or boneless skinless thighs
Seasonings and pantry staples – fajita seasoning, chicken broth and water
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Step 1. Turn the pot on saute mode. Add in the olive oil.Then add in sliced onion and bell peppers. Saute for about three minutes until the onions start to turn translucent.
Step 2. Add chicken breast on top. Frozen can be added for the same cook time you do not need to add more time. Pour in chicken broth.
Step 3. Add in water to the fill line. Next add the entire packet of fajita seasoning. Then stir well.
Step 4. Turn off saute mode. Place the lid on the instant pot. Turn valve to sealed position. Press the manual or pressure cook button and set to 20 minutes. After the timer has counted down and beeps release the pressure.
Step 5. Serve with a side of tortillas, sour cream, and cheese of choice.
TIPS AND FAQS
If you want to make this soup a little more filling, add one cup of rice to your Instant Pot when you put in your chicken, water and stock. Make sure that your rice is completely covered with water.
This recipe is very flexible. You can add black beans, or top with fresh cilantro. It’s simple to turn this meal into anything that your family loves.
I used chicken breasts to make this soup but chicken thighs would also be delicious and even more tender in your soup.
Want to spice this soup up some? Add in a can of diced green chilies when you add your broth and water to the Instant Pot. It will increase the flavor and add some spice. For even more spiciness you can add some crushed red pepper flakes at the same time.
Chicken Fajita soup is easy to reheat. You can reheat your soup in the microwave or in a sauce pot on the stove on medium heat until it is warm. I find that the soup tastes better the second or third day. The flavors get stronger.
Chicken Fajita Soup
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper; sliced into strips
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 package fajita seasoning
- 28 oz chicken broth
- 4 to 6 cups water – to fill line
- Turn pot on saute mode. Add in olive oil. Add in sliced onion and bell peppers. Saute about three minutes.
- Add chicken breast on top. Frozen can be added for the same cook time you do not need to add more time. Pour in chicken broth.
- Add in water to fill line. Add entire packet of fajita seasoning. Stir well.
- Turn off saute mode. Place lid on the instant pot. Turn valve to sealed position. Press manual or pressure cook button and set to 20 minutes. After the timer has counted down and beeps release the pressure.
- Serve with a side of tortillas, sour cream, and cheese of choice.