Chicken marinated in soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and bourbon whiskey.
What is Bourbon Chicken?
Did you know that bourbon chicken actually originated from the United States. That seems hard to believe because you typically purchase it in Chinese restaurants. Bourbon chicken is named after Bourbon Street in New Orleans in Louisiana. It’s made after the popular bourbon whiskey.
The recipe includes soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and bourbon whiskey in the base, and the chicken is marinated in this sauce.
What Ingredients are needed to make Bourbon Chicken?
Chicken thighs, or chicken breasts, chopped broccoli, red bell pepper, and green bell pepper, cornstarch, sesame seeds. For the sauce you will need ginger paste, minced garlic, red chili flakes, apple juice, honey, brown sugar, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, water, bourbon, soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
What is the best way to reheat leftovers?
I find that reheating the leftovers in a skillet with a small amount of oil makes them taste the best. Don’t get me wrong you can toss it in the microwave if that is your preferred method. However, I’ve found through trial and error that by heating in a skillet helps it to taste closest to fresh. I add about ½ teaspoon of oil, and then the bourbon chicken and saute until it’s warm all the way through.
Where can I buy ginger paste?
Ginger paste is sold in the produce department at your local grocery store. It is near the fresh herbs in the refrigerator section. If your store does not have ginger paste you can purchase minced ginger. Minced ginger is typically also found in the produce department of your local store but it is usually near the jars of minced garlic and is not typically refrigerated in the store. Make sure you store your minced ginger in the refrigerator after you have opened it though.
- Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 red pepper and green pepper sliced
- 3 tbsp. Cornstarch
- Garnish with sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. Minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red chili flakes
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Bourbon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prep your chicken and pat dry, set to the side.
- Add your apple juice, Bourbon, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, honey,
- crushed red pepper flakes, fresh garlic, and ginger to your Instant
- Mix to combine.
- Place your chicken into the instant pot, toss to coat in the bourbon mixture.
- Add the vegetables to the Instant Pot on top of the chicken.
- Secure the lid to your pressure cooker, and turn the release valve on
- top to sealing.
- Set the Instant Pot on manual.
- Set the timer for 12 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix your cornstarch and cold water.
- Set aside.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, allow it to naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Then do a quick release.
- Remove the chicken and vegetables and set to the side.
- Eave remaining sauce in the Instant Pot.
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and slowly add in the cornstarch mixture.
- Using your whisk, mix until thickened.
- Return chicken and vegetables to the sauce.
- Turn the instant pot off.
- Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!