This post is sponsored by Absolute Billiard Services.
Are you getting ready to move? I know the housing market is hot right now. I’ve got some tips that can help you learn ways to save your budget and sanity while moving. There’s no need to stress and spend tons of cash to get to your new house. I’m basing these tips on local moving, long distance moving is a whole different ball game.
I remember when we moved about 7 years ago, I was determined that our move was not going to be a nightmare. These are some of the tips that I used to help keep my sanity and not break the bank while we moved a few cities away.
Ways to Save your budget and sanity while moving
- Pack yourself. Not only does it save you many hours in mover labor, it also helps you protect the things that are most valuable to you.
- Boxes. Don’t go and purchase boxes. Check your local grocery stores and also check your local colleges. Colleges get in a LOT of paper, so they have plenty of sturdy boxes available for free.
- Choose the right time of week. You will spend less on the mover if you move on a weekday. Try to schedule your move midweek. Choosing a weekday can save you hundreds on your movers.
- Moving Insurance. I know it sounds silly to spend money on insurance. However, moving insurance can save you cash if some of your items get damaged during the move.
- Get a full and complete quote from your moving company. Movers like to sneak in extra charges for things like stairs. So, be sure to get all your costs laid out clearly before you agree to their services. You don’t want surprises at the end of your move.
- Need storage? Search for a storage facility or mover that has an agreement with each other. Try to find a bundle for both services to get a little discount.
- Move lighter items yourself. If you are moving locally you can move the lighter items yourself. Not only will it save you a lot of money with the movers, it means that you can be certain that your stuff will be taken care of, and moved with care.
Sanity Savers – Ways to Save your budget and sanity while moving
Start Packing Early. The last time we moved I started at the room that we used the least, which was our guest room. And, I cleaned and then starting packing. I placed the packed boxes in the corner of the room as I went, keeping them organized. I did one room at a time based on which room I used most often. Leaving our daughters room for last so she could continue to feel comfort with her things while we moved. Moving this way really helped my family with the stress of moving.
Number your boxes. Pack the least important items first. Then number your boxes starting at one. When you arrive at your new house you will know that the most important items are in the highest numbers boxes and that you should start unpacking them first.
Clean out our pantry. Eat from your fridge, freezer and pantry before moving. The less you have to move the better you feel. However, don’t throw away things that you haven’t eaten. They are easy to move as long as you are moving a short distance, your items should survive the move just fine. Just be sure to place all cold items right into the fridge and freezer as soon as you arrive.
Get Help When you need it
Hire movers for the heavy and bulky items. Save your back and sanity and hire movers for the heavy lifting. Have a pool table that needs to be moved and you are local to Atlanta? I’ve got you covered. Absolute Billiard Services is an excellent resource when you are trying to save your sanity while moving. Not only can they help you with a move but they also have the best Atlanta pool table accessories.
Ask friends and family for help. It seems that we always ask for help in packing and moving. But, it’s not likely that we ask for help for unpacking. When we made our last move, I asked my family for help unpacking. I was able to get our entire house unpacked in less than 24 hours and we had beds to sleep in and a kitchen that was completely unpacked on the first day so we could save money and not have to eat out. Having help from family really saved my sanity while moving and it cost me nothing extra.
More Posts you may like
6 Ways to Stay Sane While On A Budget
7 Ways to Build Your Emergency Fund
Leave a Reply